laser question--tape on mast

Re: laser question

sorry ... could not get image to work...

None of the lasers is my fleet of 8 use tape around the bottom of the vang ... we do however put some on the top of our vang around our boom to ensure that it does not fall out.

i add pictures by clicking on the post reply button ... then click "manage attachments" to add pic ;)

Some people put tape around the lower section at deck level. I think that the general idea is that the mast fits into the step a little tighter. I am not 100% sure why though. Normally when I see this, there is also a piece around the bottom of the mast as well. Again, same purpose.

I think it is pretty thick (there is a rule as to how thick), but as I recall it is about 1/8 of an inch. I am sure someone knows the real number and will respond in time.

Matt

are we talking at the vang? or around where the mast step is ... maybe it is to prevent the hull wearing away with use....

lol we gotta see the pic!:D

I don't see a photo, but I wonder if he means the colored tape bands around the mast which designate which age group of Masters you are sailing in. Red, blue, yellow..Yes?

I think also sometimes for different fleets in big events.

I don't see a photo, but I wonder if he means the colored tape bands around the mast which designate which age group of Masters you are sailing in. Red, blue, yellow..Yes?

I think also sometimes for different fleets in big events.

interesting...

Are you perhaps referring to the tape that some systems use to secure the xd style cunningham/downhaul block?

there is teflon tape (3" wide) available that you use to put 2 strips on your lower mast. one is at the bottom, with seam facing to the bow? second is a wrap just below deck level, with seam facing aft? the tape helps with friction from mast on mast step wear. somebody else could verify seams. i've used the tape and it helps the mast and the tube.

I think what you are seeing is people that are using a 3-1 setup for the cunningham. They have the tape there to hold the line below the vang in place when it's slack (when you blow off the cunningham downwind).

TC

I have tape on my boom because with the 10:1 cunningham, if you play with it when going upwind it rubs itself through the boom, after a long period of time!

Back