laser outhaul clew sleeve

I have the new clew sleeve for my outhaul and recently the sleeve won't adjust. How do I restore it to full ability?
Thanks

Hi, I had the same problem with mine as described in another post. I tried absolutely everything with it but to no avail, eventually i binned it in disgust for a rooster clew strap and block and hook which is it a bit more fiddly to set up but works like a dream, recommended!! The metal sleeve design is very poor as it should have been made of nylon or something that would slide properly along the boom as it becomes clogged with salt regardless if you spray it with lube or not. Trust me, bin this thing and go with the rooster clew strap and hook and you wont look back!!!

P.s laser clew sleeve for sale if anyone wants the sheer frustration for the sake of trickness.

Hi, I had the same problem with mine as described in another post. I tried absolutely everything with it but to no avail, eventually i binned it in disgust for a rooster clew strap and block and hook which is it a bit more fiddly to set up but works like a dream, recommended!! The metal sleeve design is very poor as it should have been made of nylon or something that would slide properly along the boom as it becomes clogged with salt regardless if you spray it with lube or not. Trust me, bin this thing and go with the rooster clew strap and hook and you wont look back!!!

P.s laser clew sleeve for sale if anyone wants the sheer frustration for the sake of trickness.

Raymie, you really should go in for PR. Your marketing of the clew sleeve is masterful: you must be beating back the offers! :p

Al (string for ever!)

Raymie, you really should go in for PR. Your marketing of the clew sleeve is masterful: you must be beating back the offers! :p

Al (string for ever!)

I'm only kiddin, i wouldnt sell this thing to anyone. I have just cut it in half and used it as mudguard stays for my TL125 trials bike by wrapping it round each fork leg! No i aint kiddin about that, works better than its original intended use! :)

Ok so i first entered logged on with the intent to get input on the sleeve vs the strap. But with this post right here, sounds like my decision has just been made.....
Love this forum

Raymie thats good you found a home for the "Clewything" shucks I was enjoying
the continuing saga.... even Roosters' site blast it.

Raymie thats good you found a home for the "Clewything" shucks I was enjoying
the continuing saga.... even Roosters' site blast it.

Dont worry, i am sure there are plenty of other inferior laser products to create a saga about. Seriously though, the rooster clew strap and hook is the way to go, even tho it is a tad more awkward to set up it wins with functionality, and you can rely on it working and not stick like the clew sleeve. So dont even think about giving yourself the grief of even trying the clew sleeve as it has been the single biggest pain in the a*s frustration of my beloved laser sailing of late! How many top sailors do you see using one? I understand the arguement that it is more difficult trying to recover the boat on to the trolley when it is windy if you cant unhook quickly (like the clew sleeve), but if you let all the control lines off it aint so bad. Hope its been helpful, if a bit tongue in cheek.;)

P.s good point about the rooster site, they know the score, if you want sound advice ask them!

As I just put in the other thread, I've had one of the metal thingies for ages and I cant fault it! keep it lubed with PTFE spray and it should never let you down!

As I just put in the other thread, I've had one of the metal thingies for ages and I cant fault it! keep it lubed with PTFE spray and it should never let you down!

Do you sail in salt water or lake sailing as this seems to make the difference. I sail in salt water and the thing clogged with salt regardless of spraying it with lube. The best thing i have done is binning it for the rooster strap and hook, my sailing is blissfull now!! :)

Back