Laser Masters World 2006

Re: Laser Masters Worlds 2006

This is from my local district page: http://www.laser.asn.au/nsw.htm

Its All Over!!! - Laser Masters Worlds

After the most frustrating week of sailing of my life we finally got a great day’s racing!! It was overcast again which has signalled no wind in the past (we hadn’t finished a race since last Monday). We finally hit the water with no obvious wind but reports of 5 to 7 knots on the course area. By the time we started at 1050 hrs it was nice 10 top 15 knots with good waves. It was 15 to 20 knots for the last two – so we sailed half the regatta on the last day!! Results are posted at
Brett didn’t need to sail the last race but the new pommie apprentice was going soooo fast and actually beat him in the second race.of the day. So Brett is world apprentice champ (AGAIN!), Greg Adams (RQ) is the new radial masters champ, Christine Bridge from RQ was first women and 5th radial overall. They’re the Aussie world champs.
As for yours truly. I had a shit of a first race – didn’t really know what I was doing, went all the wrong places (slowly!), decided the boat was full of water and that I shouldn’t waste my time at another masters while I dropped to the back of the fleet to get my final discard. A quick chat with Brett after the race (“get the Cunningham on as tight as you can”) and stronger breeze and I had two great final races!!! Almost as weird as golf! Came second, just two points behind former masters world champ, Doug Peckover, and convincingly beat him in the last race. He was 10th overall and I was 11th. So finished a happy chappy , just not sure how I could have gained those two extra points!!! Will definitely be back next year.
The other seconds were Kerrie Warraker who had to wait for the breeze to be competitive with Peter Seidneberg, and Lyndall second woman.
Good night and good luck!!!
Rob Lowndes

Full Results and Reports:

http://www.laserinternational.org/W2006/Results/results_index.htm

Back