laser inspection port 2001

laser170654

Hi
Do you put an inspection port in a 2001 laser.
Boat doesn't leak but there seem to be a couple
of bits of fibreglass (i think rolling around)
I posted a question like this but not much response!!
Thanks for your help!

laser170654 said:
Hi
Do you put an inspection port in a 2001 laser.
Boat doesn't leak but there seem to be a couple
of bits of fibreglass (i think rolling around)
I posted a question like this but not much response!!
Thanks for your help!

I don't think you normally would put a port in a boat that new, as it can weaken the deck where it is, and it if it's next to the centerboard, it seems like it could be rough on the knees. Some people put them in right away, though, if they want to be certain the boat is dry. If they were a great thing, I'd think the makers would install them in manufacturing.

Merrily

You had pretty decent answers the first time you asked the question, both pro and con about doing it. It's one of those "there is no wrong answer" and you'll have to decide what you want to do.

Personally, I would not cut anything into my boat untill it starts leaking. From experience and what other sailors have said, no matter HOW much silicon you use those things leak anyways.

Is it possible that what you hear rolling around inside are the cubitainers (plastic flotation devices)? If this is the case, you could save yourself a big possibility of problems.

I wouldn't be worried about putting in the port. I had the same doubts but when I went ahead and did it I was glad I did and it was easy. You can remove the rattling stuff in there, and you will always be able to verify that the boat is staying dry AND you will be able to monitor the shape your mast step is in. BTW the stuff rattling around in your boat may very well be (it was in mine) the bondo that dries up and breaks away from your mast step. When that happens you need to do some reinforcement of the mast step tube and its way better to be aware of the problem early and fix it then not. My 2cents

Hi,

If you cut out the hole in the right place (that is not close to the mast) it will not weaken the boat. I would cut it in the "sloping" area at the front of the cockpit, next to the daggerboard. I think the top is the size of the hole, so use that to draw the circle. Then drill a hole in that circle big enough to put the blade of your electric saw in and 5 minutes later you are pretty much done. Don't drill holes for the screw, but seal it with silicone.
Most lasers leak at least a little. An inspection port is nice to get all the water out and to check after each day of sailing what is going on in there. It is quite possible that the builder left some loose pieces in the hull. This is probably not significant, but you might want to check what is going on (and take the pieces out of cours).
I have cut holes in boats several times, and although it is counter-intuitive, it actually is not that big a deal. The first laser I had did not have an inspection port and, of course, it leaked. It was so hard to get all the water out. At some point I had to install an inspection port in my second laser, and then I thought "I should have done this years ago!" It is actually nice to know what is in there (although you will only see a part, with a small mirror you can see quite a bit) and if things look good that is great. If you notice a problem you can take care of it.
I would say, go for the inspection port!
GWF

Well like others have said there are positives and negatives. The NA manufacturer stopped installing inspection ports right around 2000-2001 because they were the source of most leaks and also tended to break alot when people put their knees through them when roll tacking in light air. But if the rattling you hear is the seating material from the mast step you do want to get in there and shore it up. When you pick the hull up and shake it does it sound like large chunks of material or is it soft thudding noises? If it's large chunks then it probably is the mast step material, otherwise it is probably the cubetainers....

Mine's got a load of little bits rattling round in it as well.

An ex-Laser manufacturing guy commented on it when I was having a repair done but he told me it was nothing to worry about. He added that the fact that we could hear it rattling around was good as it meant the hull was dry.

I think he said it was some kind of foam or something to do with when the top is glued to the base (excess adhesive?), but I can't really remember.

I've no plans to put a hole in my (dry) hull, but it's up to you what you do with yours - if you do go ahead let us know how you get on.

Dave

Thanks Dave!
I did manage to lift the boat straight up
and get a couple of the pieces out!!!
They were pretty small, and they certainly sounded bigger
when rolling around while sailing!!!
did you ever manage to get any of rattling pieces
out of your boat?
Thanks
:)

I've never tried to get any of the bits out, but I've got to fix the bailer sometime in the next couple of weeks so maybe I'll have a try then.
If I find anything interesting I'll report back.

Dave

Back