Laser II Main Sheet Block

Wade Cordy

Hello:

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I have a question about my Laser II and the Main Sheet Block system on the sole of the cockpit. Before I purchased the boat the original attatchment had been removed and replaced with 6 self threading screws. These 6 screws have since started to strip and of course not sealed well. My original plan was to make an inspection port and place a nice backing plate underneath so I can thru bolt the new Main sheet cleat and block hardware. However, I don't think placing an inspection port nearby will help as the clearance between the sole and the lower hull is about 3 inches.
Can I just drill out the holes and inject epoxy?
Will it adhere if it is still wet?
Will screws adequately thread into hardened West Systems Epoxy?

Thabks, Wade

Did you ever figure this out? I have one of the first Laser II models that has no cleat for the main sheet block. I would like to install a pivoting main sheet block with a cleat so my hands don't get as tired, as well as to make it easier to single hand her. This is the configuration of the newer models of Laser IIs. Please let me know if you figured out the best way to install a main sheet block and backing plate. Thanks.

I am in the process of mounting a Ronstan swivel base in my old 89 Laser 11. I was concerned that it may not be wise to rely on self taping screws alone. The floor seems to lack the required backing.
Can you fellows advise if you came up with an alternate more secure method of fixing the base? I am also hoping to replace a homemade wooden mastep that the previous owner installed with the original hardware.Having concerns about relying solely on the 4 screws, I was considering adding an aluminum plate. Would this be wise or would you recommend against it? Any suggestions anyone?

Back