Laser History - What Happened to the Bermuda Trophy?

Horizon

Seeing a picture of the Laser World Championship Trophy on Michael Blackburn's website www.sailfitter.com reminds me to ask, out of curiosity, the following questions.

Does anyone know what happened to the Bermuda Trophy and when and why did it stop being awarded to the Laser World Champion?

Does the current trophy have a name or is it just the "Laser World Championship Trophy"

Where is the Bermuda Trophy now?

For those who may not be aware, the Bermuda Trophy was awarded to the winner of the first Laser Worlds in Bermuda in 1974. See the attached picture courtesy of "Laser Sailing for Beginners and Experts" - Dick Tillman 1975.

The last time I am certain it was awarded was for the 1985 Worlds in Sweden to Lawrence Crsipin. See the attached picture from Beam Reach Number 21.

The final picture (Courtesy Laser Letter No.3/1988) shows Glenn Bourke at the Worlds in 1988 holding the new trophy, which seems to have been awarded since then.

I don't know which trophy was awarded for the 1987 Worlds in Melbourne won by Stu Wallace as I have never seen any relevant pictures.

Attachments

• Bermuda Trophy.JPG
    Bermuda Trophy.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 1985 Worlds.jpg
    1985 Worlds.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 1988 Worlds.jpg
    1988 Worlds.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 47

Back