Laser deck removal

Thread starter #1
So I got a 79’ laser for free as the deck started to delaminates from being in a flood. Upon further inspection, the mast step was detached but not broken. Same with the center board trunk. I simply ground out the little resin and glue left and took the deck off of the hull. Will post more pictures later on in the project and hopefully a YouTube video. Any suggestions appreciated.

Attachments

That’s cool! Not every day you get to see that. If it were me I would put a layer of glass on the underside of the cockpit floor, so that it wraps up the plywood stringer in the middle and extends up the side wall of the cockpit. I have a ‘74 hull that cracked through the cockpit floor during the last regatta. I’m havingmake that repair through inspection ports with the boat upside down suspended off the ground. I use West System for the resin.

Thread starter #3
That’s cool! Not every day you get to see that. If it were me I would put a layer of glass on the underside of the cockpit floor, so that it wraps up the plywood stringer in the middle and extends up the side wall of the cockpit. I have a ‘74 hull that cracked through the cockpit floor during the last regatta. I’m havingmake that repair through inspection ports with the boat upside down suspended off the ground. I use West System for the resin.
I replaced the plywood stringer since it was fairly rotted, and am wrapping it in fiberglass for reinforcements. Just got to let it dry and will post more!

C/B trunk & mast step can both be used again, just gotta glass 'em into place properly... any rotten glass or trash within the hull, NOW is the time to clean it out and replace it with good solid wood or glass repairs, aye? Might wanna add an inspection port or two to simplify matters when finishing work on the mast step & C/B trunk. Use gravity to your advantage when glassing, flip the hull as necessary on sawhorses or in slings. Plenty of video tutorials on glasswork nowadays, in case you have NOT done much of it... probably some pics and/or videos here at this site as well. This sort of project may seem overwhelming at first to those who've never tackled such work, just take one step at a time and eventually you'll knock out all the necessary tasks. Might cost ya a bit in time and materials, but WTF, you get a "free" Laser for your trouble, LOL. Good luck, and CHEERS!!! :rolleyes:

Thread starter #5
I thoroughly cleaned and scrapped off bad fiberglass and all surfaces are ready! Just need to pick up more resign and hardener and should be good. Thanks for the advice!