Laser Covers

Hello all, I have just bought a Laser, and I was wondering what cover would be better to get... Top or bottom? I've heard bottom covers are a pain is that true?

Thanks

lasersailor184544 said:
Hello all, I have just bought a Laser, and I was wondering what cover would be better to get... Top or bottom? I've heard bottom covers are a pain is that true?

Thanks

Depends what you are doing afterwards. For instance, I have my Laser on a (Trailex) trailer and take it home (~20 miles from the marina). I absolutely need a bottom cover to keep the hull away from all the dirt on the road. The cover (Colie) is pretty easy to get on and off. On very long trips, I might use a top cover as well.

But if you leave your boat at a marina or under trees, a top cover may be more important if you have to make a choice.

The bottom cover can be used as a top cover. It's not a tailored fit, but it does the job.

If you plan on travelling with the boat, either on the roof, or on a trailer, protecting the bottom is more important then the deck. Putting the cover on the bottom is just slightly harder then putting the cover on the deck, don't know why people would whine about it.

Of course a complete set (top and bottom) are still less then the cost of a new sail.....

Or, if you buy a new sail, a top cover and a bottom cover from Intensity Sails, with the covers currently on offer on their website at $99.99 each and the sail at $199.99, you can have both covers and the sail for less than the price of a new North sail.

Oops - is this in the wrong thread? Are Intensity covers legal?

Buy a COLIE bottom cover.

As you should be storing your boat hull up, you need a bottom cover.
As you will either cartop or trailer to move the boat, you need a bottom cover.
As you can use a bottom cover as a top cover, but not a top cover as a bottom cover, you need a bottom cover.
As COLIE makes the best covers, you need a COLIE cover.

So...

Buy a COLIE bottom cover.

I saw user 48111 the other day and he mentioned that he is going to start making bottom covers, using Top Gun (the same material that Colie uses). His top cover is a great cover and very low priced, I'm guessing he will be selling the bottom cover for quite a bit less then the other's that use Top Gun. Shoot him a PM for more info

Back