Laser clinics, schools, or training

ralfeez

I would love to attend a sailing clinic or school for Lasers. Has anyone attended any that they would recommend? Examples of some that I have looked at are the Laser Training Center in Cabarete, Dominican Republic and Rick White's sailing seminars in the Florida Keys. Any suggestions? Are there any good sailing coaches in the U.S.A. that give clinics? Thank you, Ralph

My husband and I attended Rick White's Sailing Seminar in April, 2001. I did learn a lot and got much better at boat handling. The web site is http://www.catsailor.com/sailingseminars/ss.html
I know that the seminar fills up, so sign up early.

I think that it is a good seminar, especially if your boat handling skills need to be improved. We spent a lot of time on the water and by the end of the week my butt was sore. I would recommend wearing rash guards or something soft :)).

We did a lot of the drills that are in Rick's book. Rick video taped us and we went over the tapes during lunch and in the evening. Rick brings in an expert and when I was there Kurt Taulbee was the expert. We got a lot of input from both Kurt and Rick.

The 'expert' at our Wednesday night sailing sessions was impressed at how much both my husband and I improved after Rick White's sailing seminar.

I'm interested in hearing about other race clinics. I did not know about the other one that you mentioned.

I would give a hearty 2nd to Cindy's endorsement of Rick's based on my experience there what I think was the following year. I have lost track of time and sadly not been in the boat for all this year.

The other thing that I enjoyed about Rick's (my being age 55 now but still in good shape) was the commarderie that evolved off the water. In order to keep the cost of the seminar the same, they had cut out providing food but groups formed (some went out ot eat every night) but many of us pooled out $ and created many great, tasty, fun filled meals together. All ages participated although in my group there was a welcomed absence of over testosteroned lads with their b.s.

My recommendation is to start your physical training (wall sits, aerobics, legs and upper body) around Dec if you tend to slack off after the summer/fall season as you and your body will appreciate it - LOTS of time on the water, lots of drills, some days there were 20-25 knots which really separated those in shape from the "I think I am", no annoying sales pitches, lots of integrity, and they have lots of repeat students due to their high quality sessions.

Kurt Talbee and Meka AIken were GREAT :)

Okay, I read Steve's response and it turns out that I had the year wrong when I attended Rick's Seminar. I did attend the same year that Steve did, April, 2002. I've lost track of the years too :) .

Cindy

pirouette said:
SO if my memory serves me correctly, your husband sailed a Sunfish in the seminar and was VERY GOOD...

No, we sailed Lasers. We were the ones that did not participate in the festivities in the evenings, we were too tired ......

ralfeez said:
I would love to attend a sailing clinic or school for Lasers. Has anyone attended any that they would recommend? Examples of some that I have looked at are the Laser Training Center in Cabarete, Dominican Republic and Rick White's sailing seminars in the Florida Keys. Any suggestions? Are there any good sailing coaches in the U.S.A. that give clinics? Thank you, Ralph

You might give John Kolius a call in La Porte, Texas. He used to run a series of intense clinics every spring. His store is KO Sailing. My son and I attended one about three years ago and it was great!! Our skills went way up. But nothing beats some good ole TIB (Time In the Boat).

If your club has a race team they more than likely have a race coach, try calling your local club or some clubs around you and finding a race team or a race coach you can work with. just call your club and ask if they have anyone with any race experience, A lot of junior sailing instructors are former racers too so see if one of them would be willing to help you out

Back