laser as heavy weather boat

dpiper

Hi Folks,

I'm not currently a laser sailor. I've been sailing 15-16' dinghies most of my life, but am looking for something I can sail when the wind gets up to 20-25 knots and the waves are 5-6' (and steep) on Lake Erie. I've gone the big cruising boat approach and I just find those boats kind of boring. I've heard some people brag about sailing a laser in 30 knots of wind on Lake Erie in big waves and I just wonder if this is all talk or if the boat is really good in these conditions.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Welcome to TLF DPIPER.

You can sail a Laser in those conditions if you have the weight, strength and skill to handle it. After about 30kts things get pretty crazy and it's hard to make the boat go to windward. I sailed my full rig into winds of 35kts last weekend, you get very wet and end up completley exhausted, but boring? NO WAY!!!

I have sailed in 30-35 knots and 6 foot waves in kingston. It is difficult but if you can hike hard enough its possible.

dpiper said:
Hi Folks,

I'm not currently a laser sailor. I've been sailing 15-16' dinghies most of my life, but am looking for something I can sail when the wind gets up to 20-25 knots and the waves are 5-6' (and steep) on Lake Erie. I've gone the big cruising boat approach and I just find those boats kind of boring. I've heard some people brag about sailing a laser in 30 knots of wind on Lake Erie in big waves and I just wonder if this is all talk or if the boat is really good in these conditions.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Update your last will and testament:)

Make sure there is stuff in your wallet because things are going to break sooner rather than later.

I grew up sailing a Laser on Lake Erie. Laser's handle the waves well. Because the lake is shallow, an onshore breeze can get a little wild, especially if you are launching from a beach.... There is a Gold Cup regatta in a couple of weeks at the Buffalo Canoe Club. Give it a try. Last year there were over 40 boats.

Yeah, BRSC was always good for NE wind and an out tide - usually made for a 4' swell most spring Saturday arvos... the annual Laser regatta used to regularly produce a 35 kt NE and 6' waves on the Clarence River... big time exciting!!

Bit of a thrill to do it once in a while.... dunno how I'd go week after week....

Yes, things might break on your Laser in 30 kts, but compared to most boats they are pretty indestructable. You, on the other hand, will be bruised from high speed wipeouts happening over and over again. It's worth it -heavy air Laser sailing is one of life's great joys! A nice thing about Lasers is the different rigs; a Radial is really nice in 25+ if you're normally a fullrig sailor, or use a 4.7 if you sail a Radial. Another nice thing is they are so easy to right and get going again after the inevitable capsize. Go with a buddy in that much breeze because stuff happens.

I dont think it gets that strong in Lake Erie, maybe not where I'm at, I know we get some big waves, maybe up to 6 feet or so, and winds around 20 tops.

danny

Danny has it right. The Lake Erie wind only blows 25 and up in storms....and all winter when it is too cold for reasonable folks to sail.

I remember when Lasers were first introduced in Erie. Before the Lasers showed up there were days when races were cancelled for the chicken fleets and the Fireballs and Sidewinders went out by themselves for fun and games.
The Very first Lasers joined us.

That was back when life jackets were kapok. The boots were sneakers. The foulies were raincoats. the hilking pants didn't exist. There was no Spoectra. The cleats were plastic and guess what?? We all had a blast.

There my be no better fun on the planet than sailing a Laser on a windy day on Lake Erie....

UNless you want to share the ride with your significant other in which case a Fireball or Laser two is also a blast.

Also for you over 30 it is too much wussies..... The wind blows 30 to 35 evey day in the San Francisco bay and Class President Tracy who lives there is not only older than most trees but sails there just for the fun of it.

Santa Cruz is a favorite Laser site and it blows 35 at the weather marks most summer afternoons.

If you are some sort of a wuss who didn't play football because you were too busy sewing frilly doilies, then you might be too wimpy to sail a Laser in anything over 8 knots.
If your mommie gave you rides to school so you would not get beat up by all the bullies, you probably drive a mini van and should not go sailing ever.

On the other hand, Lasers are fun toys for people who don't mind leaning back once in a while and pulling an occasional string.

last:
HIKING HARD HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HANDLING BIG BREEZE!!! Especially if it is blowing 25, boat handling and finesse are the real important factors. The simple description is that you only allow as much wind to hit your sail as you can handle. The long description just explains what that means for those who have not gone out and tried it. if you have sailed any sailboat in overpowered conditions you know what the simple description means and if you have not, you need to go out and have some fun.

AND IN CONCLUSION!!!: Some of the posts above have indicated the writers expect to hurt themselves while sailing in 20 moh winds. That only happens for three reasons:
1. You have not done it often enough
2. You have not spent enough time sailing
3. You do not have sufficient experience

you will find it very difficult to sail, i can tell you that. I was out the other day in about 20 -25 knts of wind. I normally sail a radial since im only 130pnds. I had to pinched shetted in about 5 inches away from block to block, hiking hard to keep it flat. just, in that much wind make sure when you gybe you yank on the main fairly good. i forgot 2 times. and both resulted in capsizes. But on the other hand, when your brood and beam reaching, and you plain out, and your destination comes in a tenth of the time you expected, it feels awesome. But a laser is deffinatly good for high winds, just check on your gear everynow and then and you should come out with everything good.

Back