Laser aging; no serial

Simmonet

Just bought what appears to be an *old* Laser... Made in Canada, by Performance, she was living in Southern California.

Thx to this (and other) forums, I knew whereto look for the serial number, unfortunately it doesn't seem to have a serial number in the transom and the number under the bow eye is 2220.

Far be it from me to assume this makes it a granddaddy of Laser sail boats, but can anyone assist in a date of production.

For an old boat she's in surprisingly good condition (far from perfect, but no apparent separation, cracks or major damage), would love to know the history or at least her date of "berth" ;-)

Thanks in advance for any sage info.

Cheers

Grant

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 89
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 90
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 87
Yeah, a pretty old one. They didn't start putting serial numbers on the transom until several years into production. I believe you have sail #2220, I would guess from the first year or two of production.

Yeah, a pretty old one. They didn't start putting serial numbers on the transom until several years into production. I believe you have sail #2220, I would guess from the first year or two of production.

Thanks. What I was thinking, but in good condition for a 70's era hull.

First few weeks of summer will be spent gelcoating!

No big dings, but she is a scratched up old girl.

Cheers

One inspection port for every decade of service. How many does she have?

Zero. Ish.

That's the strange thing. I worked in a teaching environment, and the lasers, holders etc got pretty banged up pretty quick, we used to put inspection hatches in as standard practice for mast steps during their first season (lots of capsizes, reefs, shallow bottoms etc.) - and these were never true racing boats, so it was more important for repair time over speed or cosmetics.

#2202 has one hatch on the rear deck that looks like it was more for storage than repair, though it could be a self bailer or gudgeon repair hatch, possible.

As noted, apart from dullness, scratches, and a couple of repairable gouges, the hull is in remarkably good shape, no apparent deck separation, softness nor leaks.

Looking forward to an inaugural sail once I fix the cosmetics and a couple of the fixtures... Got me a new training sail too :)

Cheers

Ha! Mystery solved, I believe.
I'm not so sure the seller is correct. A 1978 boat would high five figures and have a proper HIN on the transom. I have a 1979 boat and it is in the 76,000s. I think Torrid is correct, and I'm guessing year two or three. Quite a find.

Back