Laser 8.1 Rig

Hi,

Does anyone have any feedback if they have actually used one of the 8.1 rigs for 6-12 months or so.

Suppose you weigh in at 100 kg (like me), are you now competitive against the fleet in 8-10 knots. Above 15+ knots - Is there a big step up from the std rig - with average ability can you keep yourself resaonably flat (upw) and stable (dnw)- dont mind the odd capsize, its the odd and even together I hate!

Thanks for any comments.

Rich

Hi all,

Give me a chance, work has been busy so I have not been able to forum surf (I know it is terrible having to work for a living). There are a couple of other 8.1 sailors round here (Webmuppet for one, he is also the class webmaster) and a few over at Yachts and Yachting

Plane Sailing did PM me, for those who are interested here is my reply:

In answer to your questions.....

I do have an 8.1 rig and have been sailing it for around 18 months now. I do only weigh a paltry 85 kgs but given that I sail inland on a small lake I was finiding that the 'lightweights' were constantly ale to get past me given how much earlier they can plane. In a breeze I did get my own back (generally whilst they were sat on shore looking sad).

In my mind it transforms the boat and makes it competitive in handicap racing. I am finding that in the lighter breezes I can now keep up with our Phantom fleet ( a well known 'bandit').

As for the perfomance under 10 kts I find there is no contest, the standard rig boats just cannot touch me. The boat is so much faster on all points of sail. I find myself starting to depower at around 8-9 kts upwind. Over 15 kts it is sailable but I find that if a Standard rig is consistently planing then (for me) it is better to sail the standard. You may find be a bit heavier that you can live with that and still make it pay. The sail does depower nicely and power delivery is not a big bang (due to the way the sail is cut). I have found technique wise it is no harder than a standard rig in abreeze but the extra effort of the hard hiking is what does me in!

The sheet loads on the 8.1 are lower than the standard rig (surprisingly) but the kicker and cunningham loads are higher (you really need a 15:1 vang, the Harken one for preference). The boat I have it on is an old 120,000 vintage and it is showing no signs of strain taking the big rig. A mate of mine is using one on his 36,000 hull. Rudder loads are pretty much the same.

I would say if you can beg/borrow/steal a go in one then that would be good.

As for sailing one, just one thing use LOTS of kicker on all points of sail aside from DDW (the sail is pretty full).

Back