Laser 2 - repair or cut up or?

salt'n steel

I have a early 80's Laser 2 with new sails and sailed periodically but the entire deck is getting soft with delamination. I don't know if I have the time or desire to take the deck off and attempt repair. Anyone out there know where I can get a Laser 2 hull in good shape or should I cut this thing up and part out? Thanks for reply, I can send pics to those who may be interested.

I myself have a 1982 Laser 2 I picked up and did some notable work on this past summer. In truth, most of the work went much faster/easier than expected:

https://plus.google.com/photos/111663680941850932822/albums/5755874394924098113

I am actually planning on reinforcing the hull a bit further this spring. Although the boat seems fine, the wood that has rotted away internally has obviously resulted in some reduced reinforcement in a few places. The "crunching" of the foam under the deck worried me last summer, but I did a little experimentation w/ good results. I'm going to expand the work this spring.

Essentially I did the work above and later decided I'd try to fix the "crunching" sound when stepping around in the cabin. I drilled a ~1" hole in the cabin floor to one side and then filled it with epoxy that I built up from the hull up to the deck using some putty to wall it all in. It resulted in a point of stability that gave good results to a large portion of the cabin floor. I think doing 4 of these total spread across the cabin will solve all of the "crunching" sounds concerns from the wood reinforcement being gone. I'll be doing that this spring.

Thus far, West System's Epoxy has really solved every problem fairly easily so I wouldn't dream of parting out my Laser 2 anytime soon.

Last time I sailed the boat in heavy wind the hull started to flex into a banana. Too much work to try and salvage so I cut it up.

Back