Laser 2 Main Halyard Help

mmacintyre

Hi,
I have recently purchased a Laser 2 and I have had to replace the main halyard, the wire is good but the rope section was missing/ rotted.

I ordered a new halyard in the dimension suggested online, 3/16" at 45'.

The question I have is what type of "join" do you have between the halyard rope and the wire? I can't see to figure out how to do this so that it will fit through the bottom sheave so I can pull the wire hook and place it on the rack. Currently I have a bowline there but there is no way that is getting through the sheave.

I've looked at the original manuals and it seems they hardly mention the halyard at all.

Any ideas or suggestions on how to handle this? (pics are appreciated).

Michael

If I remember it right, this was a 3-strand rope eye-spliced to the wire loop. Of course you can do the same with other types of rope, and with a single-braid it's pretty easy. If your rope is a double-braid, then it's more of a professional job.

On my Lightning, I had bowlines which did fit through the openings, but often got stuck inside the mast. The ropes were double-braids, so the easiest/cheapest solution here was to sew them in a loop to the wire part.

Back