Laser 2 Boom Vang Needed

Prestonharris97

Hey all, finally got my hands on a great laser 2 here in the US. Unfortunately I am missing the boom vang blocks. All the posts ive hunted down the links are either broken or it seems the sellers only deal to business and not personal buyers.

Any help would be appreciated! A close to original replacement is good but I'm fine with getting anything that will work as needed.

Have you tried Fogh Marine in Toronto? Looks to me that they have both blocks, the RWO R4970 cleat block and the R1080 boom block:
https://shop.foghmarine.com/double-block-with-jam-and-becket-25mm.html

RWO Laser 2 Vang Double Block (Needs R4890 Key)

You’re probably missing the R4890 vang key as well: Vang Key Angled Take-Off
It replaces the shackle on the R1080.

(These fittings aren’t just ”close” to the originals - they are the only of their kind to be used on Laser 2s, ever :rolleyes: )

You need an additional small-ish standard shackle to attach the cleat block to the mast; you can use a swivel here, too, but it’s not absolutely necessary.

How old is your boat, what sail number? As always, it would be nice to see some pictures :)

_

Awesome I just emailed them!

I know it's from 1987.
Sail number in HIN is 06788

hull and deck are extremely solid. Barely a scratch on it. Needs a cleaning. Got new lines on the way.

IMG_1104.jpeg
IMG_1188.jpeg

The mast step is off center. It's two pieces of wood sandwiching a fiberglass core (or maybe that middle piece is wood now that I look at the picture close). Right piece of wood is good. Left needs replacing. Should be something I can mend through the access ports! Any tips or tricks let me know!

IMG_1189.jpeg

Any tips or tricks let me know!
Here are a few :D

First, a couple of rules of thumb: 1) Never assume that anything applicable to the Laser (ILCA) is applicaple to the Laser 2, and 2) Never assume that your boat’s previous owner had any clue how to rig, tune or sail it...

And now for some specifics that I noticed in the pictures:
  • You probably already know this, but the fairleads on the gunwales and the cleats next to them are for the spinnaker sheet, not the jibsheets :rolleyes: The latter go only through the fairleads on the tracks on the foredeck. (And those fairlead cars are kept practically all the time in their innermost position.)
  • The traveller block isn’t actually supposed to ”travel” off the centreline. Rig the traveller like this:
    (There are quite a few more helpful L2 videos on that channel, check them out.)
  • Rig a clew tie-down line. Take some 60 cm of 4 mm pre-stretched (or similarly high quality polyester) line, thread it through the outhaul eye and around the boom (but inside the outhaul line) twice, and tighten with a square knot. The sail should almost touch the boom when it’s rigged right.
  • The trapeze elastic should be tied to the blocks at the top of the trapeze rings, not to the rings themselves. Also, it’s intended to pass through the fairlead on the foredeck in front of the mast, and I believe there’s a cheek block there, too, in front of that. The more stretching length the better.
  • The trapeze wires look a bit long (that is, the handles are probably too low), but that’s something you’ll really find out only during a test sail.
Does the boat have a spinnaker and equipment (pole, bag?)

(Sorry I can’t really say anything about the picture from the inside of the boat. I’m not even sure what it shows :oops: )

_

Here are a few :D

First, a couple of rules of thumb: 1) Never assume that anything applicable to the Laser (ILCA) is applicaple to the Laser 2, and 2) Never assume that your boat’s previous owner had any clue how to rig, tune or sail it...

And now for some specifics that I noticed in the pictures:
  • You probably already know this, but the fairleads on the gunwales and the cleats next to them are for the spinnaker sheet, not the jibsheets :rolleyes: The latter go only through the fairleads on the tracks on the foredeck. (And those fairlead cars are kept practically all the time in their innermost position.)
  • The traveller block isn’t actually supposed to ”travel” off the centreline. Rig the traveller like this:
    (There are quite a few more helpful L2 videos on that channel, check them out.)
  • Rig a clew tie-down line. Take some 60 cm of 4 mm pre-stretched (or similarly high quality polyester) line, thread it through the outhaul eye and around the boom (but inside the outhaul line) twice, and tighten with a square knot. The sail should almost touch the boom when it’s rigged right.
  • The trapeze elastic should be tied to the blocks at the top of the trapeze rings, not to the rings themselves. Also, it’s intended to pass through the fairlead on the foredeck in front of the mast, and I believe there’s a cheek block there, too, in front of that. The more stretching length the better.
  • The trapeze wires look a bit long (that is, the handles are probably too low), but that’s something you’ll really find out only during a test sail.
Does the boat have a spinnaker and equipment (pole, bag?)

(Sorry I can’t really say anything about the picture from the inside of the boat. I’m not even sure what it shows :oops: )

_

I've got several cold months to get the rigging right so this is great! All the shock cord for the trapeze was an absolute mess haha I've got new lines for everything on the way. We are missing rope for clew tie. Awesome video I will check them out!

Any help is appreciated! I can't wait for warmer weather. The lake we sail at has mountains all around so we get some beautiful downlope winds in the evenings.

Back