Lake Norman Sailing - North Carolina

xsailor

Hi-

I just moved to Cornelius, NC and looking for Laser/Dinghy sailing around the area. Anyone from the area and sailing laser or similar dinghy boats?

Thanks Merrill.

I'm actually in talks with them. I couldn't reach the laser coordinator and will do most of their sailing after march.

Laser activity at LNYC is kind of sporadic. There are lots of Lasers sitting on the racks, but most of the organized racing is centered on junior sailing.

That being said, one guy (probably the laser coordinator) has been trying to start a frostbite series. The weather hasn't been too cooperative this year. Also, after one year's absence LNYC is back on the D12 circuit this year. There's a regatta schedule for April 18-19.

LNYC is the place to be. That's where I grew up racing Lasers. It comes and goes, but you're in one of the best Districts, (D12) around. Welcome! PM me if you need any info about Lake Norman, Charlotte or stuff in the area. Rob

Rob,

What are the water and air temps in April? I think I remember hearing that the water was still fairly cold.

Rob,

What are the water and air temps in April? I think I remember hearing that the water was still fairly cold.

The water will still be COLD. Bring your wetsuit or heavy knee length hikers, spray top with warm layer underneath.

We're in Charlotte, SW area, and we sail on Lake Wylie at Catawba Yacht Club. It's a bit of a drive for us to go to LNYC(nearly an hour), but we do it on occasion. We're from FL, so laser sailing up here is quite a bit different--not nearly as many active sailors, but we're working on it! Hope to meet you sometime. Come on down and check out CYC sometime!!!

I think the water temperature is usually low to mid 60s in April, with air temperature in the 70s or low 80s. However it COULD be colder. Good idea to bring a shorty wetsuit, but you definitely wouldn't need a dry suit. Sometimes it is warm and sunny, but the water is still a little chilly.

Maybe we can call Duke Power at get them to circulate a some lake water through the reactor.

Lake Norman hosts two good Laser regattas each season in the NC champs and the Board Bash. They have a fantastic facility but unfortunately do not offer any decent club racing for Lasers. I live on Lake Norman but now drive down to the Catawba Yacht Club on Lake Wylie to take advantage of some year round consistent club racing that often includes Lasers.

Hi-

I just moved to Cornelius, NC and looking for Laser/Dinghy sailing around the area. Anyone from the area and sailing laser or similar dinghy boats?

Come on down to Lake Lanier Sailing Club (www.llsc.com) March 7-9 for the Laser Southerns Regatta. Should have over 30 boats on the line, it is the last regatta of the frostbite season. Should be fun!

The Lake Norman Yacht Club has a Laser Fleet, Thistles, Highlanders, Flying Scotts, and cats.
go to LNYC.org and you can see the new membership information. We also host a bunch of regattas during the year.

There is going to be a "learn to sail day" in early May. If you give me contact information, I will let you know dates.

Welcome to Lake Norman
Mike Minett
[email protected]

Back