Just joined - sharing my pics of sailing at Lake Tahoe, and San Francisco bay, Calif.

nicky

Hi everybody,

I've been sailing a sunfish quite regularly for about 5 years now; prior to this I had no sailing experience whatsoever. Last spring I bought my own boat, and have been enormously enjoying sailing it locally on the San Francisco bay and at Lake Tahoe.

I have some questions to ask of the experienced folks on this list, but thought I'd just introduce myself first with a few pics. They're all posted on a photo sharing site, and there are 6 different 'voyages'. You can access them from the following URL:
http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=yfsaz25.16anrhpp&x=0&y=j3srvr
It's set up so you don't have to register to view the photos - although this may not be immediately obvious - just click the "View Photos without signing in" link (below the "Continue" button).

I'm particularly interested to hear from anyone who has substantial experience sailing a sunfish on the SF bay...

Hope you enjoy them.

Nicky

Hey Nicky,

That's some set of photos. Glad to see you enjoy a relaxing sail.

Welcome to the forum.

Mol

Nice photos - looks like you are having fun! As you know it gets windy on the bay. You will find it a whole lot easier to sail on a windy day if you lower the rig about 18 inches or two feet. Racers lower the sail to the point it almost scrapes the deck, but you will not want it that low for comfortable day sailing. Also, if you replace the hook at the front of the cockpit with a block (pulley in non-nautical terms) you will have better control over the sail too. Buy a Harken ratchet block (it turns when you pull in on the sheet, and doesn't turn when you let it out, so it takes some load off your hands) and mount it on an eyestrap either where the hook is or on the deck just above it. For the right height sail, check the link below. Also, the Sunfish page at www.teamvanguard.com has a link to photos of racing boats to see how low they put the sail. You want a midpoint between them and where you have it. Have fun! Beldar

http://www.teamvanguard.com/2005/ba...boatid=6&view=display&imgname=sunfish-rec.jpg

Nice photos - looks like you are having fun! As you know it gets windy on the bay. You will find it a whole lot easier to sail on a windy day if you lower the rig about 18 inches or two feet. Racers lower the sail to the point it almost scrapes the deck, but you will not want it that low for comfortable day sailing. Also, if you replace the hook at the front of the cockpit with a block (pulley in non-nautical terms) you will have better control over the sail too. Buy a Harken ratchet block (it turns when you pull in on the sheet, and doesn't turn when you let it out, so it takes some load off your hands) and mount it on an eyestrap either where the hook is or on the deck just above it. For the right height sail, check the link below. Also, the Sunfish page at www.teamvanguard.com has a link to photos of racing boats to see how low they put the sail. You want a midpoint between them and where you have it. Have fun! Beldar

http://www.teamvanguard.com/2005/ba...boatid=6&view=display&imgname=sunfish-rec.jpg

Back