Just found you: Getting a boat ready to sail

davavd

OldNSlow
Hi,
I just found this forum while looking up the hull weight on wikipedia. I have a sunfish I bought in the early 80s and used a lot while I was childless. It has been laying in my yard for years and I am getting it back in shape for teaching my 8-year-old daughter to sail. I got a trailer (no more pick-up truck :)) repaired the hole in the hull (mat & West System epoxy resin), and am currently refinishing the wood bits (again WS epoxy). Right now I'm debating whether to use polyurethane varnish over the epoxy (2 coats right now) or just do 1 more coat of epoxy. Recommendations appreciated. :D

I'm also thinking about putting a couple of inspection ports in the deck to aid in drying out. My sail is the original, but has been stored in a bag in doors, so I'm hoping it is still OK. Same for the halyard & sheet. The bridle (traveler) and bow handle were pretty funky, so I replaced them with new ones.

Re: Just found you

IIRC WEST started adding UV inhibitor to their resin a couple of years back. It should say right on the container. If that be the case, no need for a varnish top coat since that was why you did it in the past.

Thanks for the heads-up about UV protection. My epoxy is the old kind. That said, the boat's gear isn't being stored outside and the actual time of exposure to UV doesn't seem like it should be enough to require any UV protection, at least for a while.

Do you know if a single coating of the new UV resistant epoxy will provide the necessary protection?

I'm afraid I don't know about a single coat. All the jobs I've done all coats have been old type with a couple of varnish top coats or now all with newer resin. I don't see why not. It would be like putting sunglasses on your earlier coats. Good question for the west help desk.

Ask Bradley to move this conversation into the mainstream Sunfish segment. It belongs there and you could get more and different inputs.

I haven't been able to find any info about UV resistance in West resin. Can you point me at something? Also, who is Bradley, and how do I contact him about moving this thread?

I browsed back through the WEST system on-line user manual and in the Final surface preparation section it still says -

" . . . The most common methods of finishing are painting or varnishing. These coating systems protect the epoxy from ultraviolet light . . . "

Maybe I'm confusing WEST with something I read for MAS or System Three epoxy products. I was under the impression all boat building epoxies had started including UV protective additives. If I find anything more I'll post it. I'd just give the WEST tech support a call or email to confirm whether or not your resin lot# will require a top coat.

Bradley is this bulletin board's administrator. I'll give him a heads up.

I got some West #207 slow hardener because it is too hot now for the regular hardener. It does have UV filter, so you were right.

Back