Jens Rig

sailorf2

I have had a jens rig in before but ive always gotten more experenced sailors to put it in for me. I was woundering about how long should the jens rig line be?

IIRC from the Sunfish Bible, the "Long Island" Jens rig uses a short piece of line (3 feet?) rigged as a small bowline (about the same diameter as the mast) that slips over the top of the mast. The line is tied off at the mast cap with two half hitches to allow the bowline to slide about a foot down from the mast top. Your halyard (already tied a foot or so lower on the upper boom) passes over the bowline.

Works best if everything is premeasured and premarked...

Kevin

And the purpose of the Jens rig is??? I have read enough to know that it is a high wind rig. It looks from the drawing that it is controlling the gaff, and the main sheet is rigged as a vang. Are we just trying to flatten the sail? Lower the CE?
thanks,
tg46

The Jens allows the upper spar to be rigged at a lower point while keeping the rig close to the deck. The lower attachment point allows more bending of the upper spar and allows the sail to "spill" more air.
The vang is to help flatten the sail. Both reduce "lift" and allow a lighter weight sailer to sail when the "normal" rig would over power them.
They also allow an out of shape heavier sailer like me keep control of the boat in conditions that would have me sailing for the dock or swimming...LOL

Back