I've benn demoted?

LaserChef

Bradley, What's up with the downgrade from "Rail Meat" to "Trainee" in the avatar caption?

Sorry to waste the bytes. Just Curious.

Don't worry, Brad must have just switch the order around.

Yes I did, for the reason illustrated above. Not enough people understand what the term means. I am always getting emails about it, and to tell the truth, I couldn't remember what it meant myself. So from here on out Rail Meat Tech has been replaced with Trainee. You are a trainee when your post count is less than 10.

Cheers,

Thanks, and thanks for the forum. I hope its voice as a resource and vehicle for expression continues to grow.

I also hope it can find some sense of levity...Most Laser sailors I know are intense on the water, fairly loose and fun loving off. Just my $.02.

I posted once, saw rail meat, and thought it was somebody's idea of a joke. (Which is OK) I am glad that Bradley changed the designations, Afterall, I am a laser sailor -- I can hike !

C'mon, hiking out on a Laser is the very definition of being 'railmeat'. No shame in that.
Sure, the term's more keelboat oriented but I thought it fit well in defining the freguency/history of a posters use of this forum.
Nothing particularly wrong with 'trainee' either but it's not very specific to sailing vernacular.

honestly, if you don't know what rail meat is than your probably reading on the wrong forum and shouldn't be posting here anyways. if anyone has EVER sailed than they should know what rail meat is

SO... Let me see if I have this right...I didn't know what railmeat was so I am on the wrong forum here and shouldn't be posting here either. Hey....LIGHTEN UP BUDDY! You sound like a little spoiled brat. I did not have the privilege of being 17 and having my own boat to learn on. I didn't grow up around sailing. I am a 42 yr old mom and veterinarian that has become enthralled with laser sailing and I am trying to learn as much as possible so I can soon buy( and read...pay for myself) a laser. Sorry if I intruded on your technical forum. DL in Naples Florida

i may be only 17 and own my own boat but i had to work my ass off for 8 months to buy my boat and i haven't been around sailing my whole life only 7 years or so. but most people who sail lasers have previously sailed on larger boats

No, I think you have it backwards. Most people who sail bigger boats have sailed lasers. I just love sailing and am starting rather late in life. I don't have anyone to talk to about it so I try to learn and read as much as I can on the forum. Most of it I don't completely understand but I hope to be at it a while. You are very lucky to be 17 and have your own boat but what you have that is most valuable is time and no responsibility( relatively speaking).....so have fun and if you are ever in Florida you can give me a lesson;)

I guess it's time for me to weigh in on the merits of this discussion- since I started it.
First, thanks for the replies, all of them!

Second, part of the learning process in any vocation or avocation is learning the lexicon commonly used by practicioners of the pursuit. This process is usually achieved by a variety of means, including reading, manuals, networking and participating with others in the shared activity. It is not always universal - i.e one persons' "kicker" is another's _________.

Finally, IMHO, in any good BB community there is always room to ask a sincere question, playfully razz an "expert" or share an opinion. Provided of course that its on topic, within the T & C's of the forum and not solely for the purpose of pushing an attack or agenda. There should be no pretense that a contributor is a grizzled veteran of the seas.

As the forum grows we'll learn the resources and personalities of one another. Hopefully using this data to advance the knowledge and enjoyment of all users.

Sorry for the manifesto- let's remember the subject matter- sailing one of the most enjoyable boats on the planet!

Cheers.

Back