is my tiller extension too long?

sailorsteven

When I tack and gybe I find it hard to get the tiller extension around my body and to get it around I have to turn the boat up to bend the joint between the extension and the tiller. Is my techinque wrong or is the tiller extension too long. Let me know the best way to get the tiller from my backside to the front without turning the rudder.

I have sailed 420s and have the basic technique down, the problem is getting the tiller extension to the forward part of my body after I am on the new tack.

When I tack and gybe I find it hard to get the tiller extension around my body and to get it around I have to turn the boat up to bend the joint between the extension and the tiller. Is my techinque wrong or is the tiller extension too long. Let me know the best way to get the tiller from my backside to the front without turning the rudder.

It's probably your technique. I have a 44 inch extension, which I'll admit took some getting used to. Just twirl it from the base, holding it fairly close to the joint. Then move your hands up on it after it is across your lap.

If you have the basic tack mastered from your 420 sailing, (you are facing forward throughout the tack and are waiting until you've crossed the boat before the hands exchanging the tiller and mainsheet) try this:

--make sure your tiller is centered before taking the tiller extension with your mainsheet hand

--slide the hand holding you rmainsheet aft along the sheet until it stops with your extended thumb pointing at the tiller extension near its U-joint with the tiller

--keep a grip on the mainsheet with three fingers (pinkie, ring and middle) let go with your index finger and take the tiller extension between your extended index finger and thumb; release the tiller with your other hand

--now flip the tiller extension in front of you by rotating the hand holding the mainsheet with three fingers and the stick with two fingers, down and forward

--with your free front hand take the mainsheet from the ratchet block and let the back hand's last three fingers drop the manisheet and close around the tiller extension.

You have now completed the sheet-tiller hand exchange without losing touch with either and find yourself holding the tiller like a microphone.

Happy Tacking.

48 inches seems to be the standard today. Some guys go a bit longer but I wouldn't do it. If your extension is 48inches or shorter you should be just fine with a bit of practice.

the type of tiller to extension universal used may make a difference too.

anyone use a metal hinging/swivel type universal rather than a solid rubber type?

is there a difference in performance?

anyone use a metal hinging/swivel type universal rather than a solid rubber type?

I bet that almost no racers use the metal hinge type. There is a big difference in performance I think. The few times I have sailed with one I noticed there are angles where it seems to "catch" and it also feels sloppier. For me there is even a difference between the rubber universals that let you rotate the extension on the universal (like the acme fatso jr) and the fixed ones (like the stock aluminum "pro" extension).

I just bought an older laser and it came with the swinging universal joint tiller extension.

I couldn't stand it. It seemed to "catch" and didn't move smoothly and naturally as I tried to move the tiller around.

I swapped for an aluminum ronstan tiller extension with the rubber swivel mount immediately. Even though the new extension is longer, it feels much less in my way.

Back