Is Laser right for me

mosheva

Is a laser sailboat to much for a 120 lbs person, because i cant afford a radial rig, Do you think im alright with just my laser, please respond fast.

Thank You

Under 9 knots you'll be fine,

over 12 I hope you are a strong swimmer,

18+ call the coast guard

My son is 100 Lbs and he is ok up to about 9 or 10 Knots (he has to work very hard to servive mind you) we are not buying a radial rig because I can't see a purchase of $ xxx.xx for only about 2 seasons. It does screw up the balance of the boat, but for recreational sailing you can just reef the main by wrapping the around the mast a few times to reduce the sail area. This was popular back in the 70's before smaller rigs were available. I would not suggest it if you are using a good racing sail but its ok if you have a beater sail to use. (you may need to remove the top batten to avoid breaking it and raise the dagger board to reduce helm)

This shown it the book" Laser Sailing" written by Dick Tillman back in 1972 (or so)

yah i once didnt race the last 2 days in a 3 day regatta because the wind was blowin 18. but i went out and tried but yah 13+ becomes a handful in a radial even.

I think i Just might use radial rig becasue i will be racing this boat, i have 2 sails, im not sure how much radial rigs usaly cost, can some one give me the rough estimate...it cant be more than $500 can it? Since i am using it for races i think i need a boat w/ the best speed and handling. If u guys think other wise please respond. O and Please tell me how much a radial usaly costs!! Thnx!

mosheva said:
I think i Just might use radial rig becasue i will be racing this boat, i have 2 sails, im not sure how much radial rigs usaly cost, can some one give me the rough estimate...it cant be more than $500 can it? Since i am using it for races i think i need a boat w/ the best speed and handling. If u guys think other wise please respond. O and Please tell me how much a radial usaly costs!! Thnx!

The Radial rig must include a Radial sail AND a lower mast section for the Radial. Check http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d3000/e1277.asp APS gives a discount when you buy both together, but you have to call them for pricing. The sail alone is $450 and the lower mast alone is $180, but like I said you get a discount from them if you buy both.

Merrily

Thank You, iv visited the site and i was woundering, does the rig come with a racing sail? or should i by the rig and a racing sail or the whole pack. I really want to start to race, would it be ok to practice with a racing sail? Please let me know what is the best deal, by the rig and a racing sail or just the rig pack, becasue i dont think it comes with the racing sail. Thank You for all ur help, laser racers!!!

Thanks

mosheva said:
Thank You, iv visited the site and i was woundering, does the rig come with a racing sail? or should i by the rig and a racing sail or the whole pack. I really want to start to race, would it be ok to practice with a racing sail? Please let me know what is the best deal, by the rig and a racing sail or just the rig pack, becasue i dont think it comes with the racing sail. Thank You for all ur help, laser racers!!!

Thanks

By racing sail i meen a sail i can put numbers on and race w/. Since this is my first time racing w/ these boats can some one also tell me the prosses and rules of putting the number's on the sail. Thanks.

you can resell the radial lower section EASY, so don't be afraid to buy one even for a season or two.

Same thing for the radial sail, there are not a lot of used ones, so demand is high.

But can i just put numbers on a sail and race it? or do i have 2 follow a prosses and rules. please let me know becasue i dont want to ruin anything or get in trouble.

Ben

mosheva said:
But can i just put numbers on a sail and race it? or do i have 2 follow a prosses and rules. please let me know becasue i dont want to ruin anything or get in trouble.

Ben

When you buy a sail, instructions for putting the numbers on come with it. You can also look up the class rules. If you race informally in a club setting, I don't think the others would mind having you sail without numbers a few times.

Good luck!

Check out the instructions for number placement on page 8 of the rigging guide for the laser/radial from Vanguard at http://www.teamvanguard.com/2005/downloads/Laser_Rigging.pdf
Also, if you ask, the dealer of your sail will probably put numbers on your sail for you, either free or at little cost.
You're in the position I was last year; a totoal newbie to lasering. I am 5'6" and 130lbs and am very glad I chose the radial rig as a starter, and actually unless I put some height and mass on, which is unlikely since I have always been a lighgtweight slim guy for all my 41 years, I doubt I'll move up to a full-rig for racing/personal use.
If you want a really good overview, read Dick Tillman's "The Complete Book of Laser Sailing." I keep it handy as a quick-reference now.

Thank You, I will keep these things in mind. Thanks again and i hope, maybe someday, to race against some of you.

Back