Is it just me?

Having sailed three times now on a Sunfish, I've concluded that I prefer my toes under the far side of the cockpit much more than using a hiking strap (which my used boat came with). I'm thinking of just taking the hiking strap off the boat to get it out of the way... Didn't like the "entrapped" feeling--like I might get caught up by the legs if I slipped off the boat, etc.

Anyone else not like hiking straps, or is it just me?

I have to agree with Geezer. I sailed for about 20 years before I got a boat with a hiking strap. After about 18 mph that extra 24-30 inches the strap allows you over the oposite side of the cockpit or trying to spread eagle with one foot under the front lip and one under the rear lip to get you body out farther makes a heck of a difference.
My strap is fairly loose so it lays on the bottom of the cockpit when not in use and allows my legs straight when in use. It's sometimes a pain to gbet your toes under it after tacking, but if the wind drops or it's low I allways end up getting caught up in it when it's held up.
I think it was Super Cub that showed a mod using a bungey to hold it up when needed and my next boat will use that. So I have the best of both worlds. Strap out of the way in light air and up where my feet can get it easily in heavy air.

Maybe I just haven't been in enough wind yet (although I was out on a pretty gusty day last week). It seems to me that, if a person uses the hiking strap w/ the feet hook under them in a SF, he would be hanging off the side around the knee joint. Are you really hiked out that far??
BTW, when I did try the hiking strap last week, I let it slide up onto my shins--probably too high, from what I gather?

Anyone out there NOT use a hiking strap and feel like you do fine regardless?

Yeah - the hiking strap should go across the top of your foot. Adjust the tightness of the strap so you can hike with straight legs with pressure from the deck on calves and thighs. If it's uncomfortable buy some hiking pants. If it still hurts it means you're doing it right.

I am a new Sunfish Sailer also, my boat came with the strap, Like mentioned by someone earlier it should only be high enough to slip your feet under it easily and get out easily. I use it all the time, if you want some speed and action you have to hang out.

When I put a strap on my boat I was worried that i was going to get stuck in it too. But it has helped me a lot. you are able to get so much more weight out of the boat to sail in higher winds. I love my strap, now it feels weird if i go in a sunfish with out one.

Steve

papayamon2,

Do a search (at the top of the forum) for "hiking strap". The thread "Hiking Strap Usage" by fishhead is the one where I posted some pictures of the bungee set-up for keeping the strap off the floor. The thin bungee lets you kneel on the strap, yet keeps it ready for your feet. Like Old Greezer (he has it right, it can hurt) and others have said, the strap is across the top of the foot, your legs are straight and your backside is out there getting wet. The attached picture is from the 2002 Worlds, photographer unknown, but shows the points mentioned.

Attachments

• 2002_Worlds.jpg
    2002_Worlds.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 60

Back