Irresistable Sales Pitch...Do not read!!!

gouvernail

Super Opinionated and Always Correct
You know all those guys you read about in the seventies and eighties and even the nineties who were sailing and winning the big events??

You wanted to be there and sail with them and you were jealous that you didn't go and you hoped someday you would get to sail with those hot shots.

The Masters North Americans is going to be an assembly of a huge number of those big Laser names from as far back as the seventies.

The guys who are registered are the guys whose names are all over the ILCA annual yearbook.

Sailing is not like football or basketball. You may have read about Franco Harris, Mean Joe Green, Lydell Mitchell. Jack Ham, Tony Dorsett, Robert Parrish, Julius Erving, Dave Cowens, or any of those folks but...They don't get together with regular guys and have old man championships you can attend.

You can go to North Carolina and sail with past Laser World Champion Dick Tillman. You get to start right next to him and be shot out the back of the fleet for trying it...or maybe hike hard and keep up.

These chances don't come often. Dick is also not a spring chicken. Hell, I am pretty damned old myself. I watched Dick sail the Snipe nationals from beside the reach legs using my Optimist Pram way back in 1958. Although I tried, I didn't get to share a course with Dick in the same one design boat for another 40 years.

What a waste!!

You gonna learn from my mistake or make it over??

There are just so many opportunities left for you to race with sailing gods from the seventies.

You can blow off this year...but why??

What is the upside to staying away from Wrightsville Beach in May??

Just exactly what better use do you have for the money you have accumulated in your life??

When you read about Tillman in the seventies did you honestly believe that 35 years later you would allow yourself to be so tied to the damn grindstone you would actually tolerate missing an opportunity to go sailing for a weekend with Dick Tillman??

One thing is certain, 20 year old you had a lot better opionion of how you would be doing today. There is no way he thought that by now, you would not be able to afford to just pick up and go sail with Dick.

You can wait another 35 years. Dick's a healthy guy and he just might sail the 2044 event.

Of course, you will have missed another 35 events and why??

What is it that is more important to you than sailing with all your heroes from the seventies??

HUH??

Quit rationalizing. Everybody in your world knows how bad you want to go and nobody would hold it against you for doing it.

and tell a few of your sailing friends about your plans and drag their asses along...

they will universally thank you.

You know that.

Now go do it.

Borrow the six boat trailer from your junior program....you have contributed enough to mooch once.

Stop reading here and go call your club's 1980 singlehanded champion. He wants to go too.

Kind of a long post. Just an idea.

cliffsonlyimportant_small_4ji3.jpg

Friends Don't Let Friends
:cool: Miss Laser Regattas :cool:

Fred, I just sent this e-mail out to our district. I'll let you know if I get any takers. Thanks for your kind offer!

Hi All,

Fred Schroth out of Texas has offered to pick anyone’s boat, (and possibly a person or two) while they are driving through on their way to Wrightsville Beach for the Masters NA’s.

So, if you live anywhere on the route from Atlanta to Wilmington or Savannah to Wilmington, (they can go either the I-10 or I-20 route) and the ONLY reason you’re not going to the NA’s is transportation related drop me a line and we’ll see what we can do to get you hooked up.

Rob

I'm coming even though I get to sail against Dick Tillman all winter long in Melbourne.:)

Saw him last weekend on his windsurfer about 7 miles from his lanching site behind his house on Merrit Island. Winds were about 18kts and he didn't even look tired. That guy is in shape!

Looking forward to meeting you guys. We are bringing a full tripple decker trailer.

John

Back