Intermediate Skills\Racing Schools

swaterhouse

Yesterday I picked up my first Laser, a used 2004 in excellent condition.

I am not a new sailor, as a teenager I used to sail daily in the summer, in high school and college it was weekly in the summer and sporadically in the winter. Then I spent the next 12 years sailing once or twice a year. I have never raced. I have sailed my friends\college lasers before but always just for fun (and sometimes with 4 of us in 3-4 foot swells just for the excitement of it!).

My goal for the summer is to a) re-learn how to sail b) learn the basics of good laser sailing. In the fall I was hoping to take a class to a) help me with my laser skills and b) get the basics on racing. This winter I plan to join on of the local frostbite series (probably at CPYC in Boston).

I have ordered the Boat Whisperer DVD set and the Laser Book to get me started based on searches from this site.

Does anyone have any suggestions for places that teach beginning racing on lasers? I live in MA, but I am willing to travel, especially if my wife can spend a day or two in a local SPA. I briefly looked at SailLaser in Miami and that looks pretty interesting but I am wondering if there any others.

Anyone have any other suggestions to help me out?

I have been to both the Rick White and SailFit (Kurt and Meka Taulbee) seminars and would also recommend either one. I just spent three days training with Kurt in Clearwater; its a great venue offering sailing on either the bay or gulf.

Back