Insurance???

Does anyone worry about insurance for their Sunfish?. Is there any requirement for liability insurnace racing? Some activities I have belonged to require insurance or boosted auto insurance. Soooo just wondering.
eric

There are no requirements and I doubt anyone worries about it. Most homeowners policies include liability insurance for small sailboats, usually if they are under 25 or 26 feet.

Best to check with your homeowners company to see the exact policy wording so you know when you are covered and when you are not. Almost always racing is excluded. So, sailing out the course and in from the course would be covered, but from the time you are defined racing until you finish, you would likely not be covered. There are small sailboat policies out there, but in comparison to the cost of a Sunfish, or a couple of parts, or enough West epoxy to fix something, it likely will prove to be not worth the expense. Some things we just get to choose to self insure, as it were. But, it never hurts to explore what you have and know your options.

Try Myers, Briggs in Chicago for sailboat insurance, US Sailing has a program, and I believe there are at least 10 other programs out there ... Most are aimed at boats 24 feet and up. At the same time, some clubs are starting to require liability coverage ... but that is often causing Sunfish sailors and fleets to choose to go do their racing elsewhere ... :cool:

I meant to reply to this back in September but I forgot. My policy provides liability coverage (property damage and injury) for sailboats less than 26 feet even when racing.

You better tell your insurer that you have a sailboat. If you are racing, check the kind of coverage with your insurer. Regatta is often excluded.

Back