Installing new style rudder on pre-71 hull

rh2022

I bought a pre-1971 hull that came with a the new style rudder setup. All that is required is the gudgeon bracket and backing plate. Can anyone help me in determing the correct placement of this bracket? Thanks.

Center the outside bracket up down right and left. Hold the bracket on the transom and mark the hole lactations. Double check position and square before drilling. The gudgeon plate holes will naturally take care of the backing plate position.

My last backing bracket only had one hole in it. I put the two brackets back to back in a vise and used the gudgeon as a guide to drill the other three corners of the backing plate. I drilled the backing plate holes undersize and tapped them so I didn't have to mess with nuts while setting the backing plate in Marine-Tex putty. Added nylon insert nuts for extra security after the sandwich was all set.

Thanks for the info. How close to the deck/rail can I locate the bracket? Why are you using Marine-Tex?

I don't know how close to the deck seam you can push things. You've only got about half an inch to play with. I guess if you want it as close as possible you'll need to snap on the rudder and hold the gudgeon in place to check for interference while moving the rudder through all positions up down left right.

The backing bracket stands off the transom inside because of the old rudder bolt hull indentation. Marine-Tex levels the inside area.

Back