Installing New Centerboard?? Help!

DaveM

Charlabud #623
Recently took my first solo on my C14. Went out on lake Grapevine in the Dallas area. Winds 12-15 kts. Learned many lessons the hard way…including the capsize drill! I was able to upright the boat just fine, but getting back in the boat was practically impossible. Thankfully a motor boater swung by to lend a hand. I was able to get back in, but as the motor boat pulled away he snagged my bowline. The line was so old and crappy that it broke quickly and fortunately it did not foul his prop.

I later discovered the bowline must have been wrapped around my centerboard and it snapped a 5-inch triangular bite out of the trailing edge! It runs about 3-inches into the centerboard. I’m not even sure she’s seaworthy at this point. I’m afraid the centerboard could break in half with load on it! (thoughts anyone)

I can get a replacement centerboard from catalinadirect.com for $350 (ouch). But I don’t have the first clue how to install it! There must be a pin that it pivots on, but I’m not sure how to access it.

Has anyone every done this before??

Many thanks in advance from The Noob of Flower Mound, TX

Centerboard

Hi Dave,
To remove the centerboard, simply remove the machine bolts that hold the stainless steel brackets to the floor. They may be in tight so take care not to damage. The board and the brackets lift out of the floor.
To repair the board see :
http://youtu.be/nqDHK0VcKTE
Good luck, RRE

OMG! Awesome. Thank you so much Ross. That was one of the best YouTube videos ever. I know what I am doing this weekend!

Dave

I split my centerboard, about 1/3 up the length of it. Click on my profile, and you should be able to find old forum posts on how I repaired mine with Marine Epoxy. I had pictures and description. You can't tell that it was even damaged.

I also had a couple of minor pieces knocked off the trailing edge of my rudder. Similar repair with good success.

-Robert
1984 Capri 14.2
1989 Catalina 22

Robert, thanks for the reference. I actually saw your post last night and it inspired me to speak up on the forum and get some help. I am so glad i did. I am much more confident about my chances with so much great advice.

How did anyone learn to sail before the internet?

What a gold mine this site is. I encourage everyone who has a story or an experience share to post here and post often.

Back