installing clam cleats -- advice needed

bmf

This is "returning to racing after 20 years" with another question:

When I was racing Sunfish years ago, the preferred sheeting set up was a rachet block with clam cleats mounted on the side of the boat, just forward of the cockpit. Now, at least where I am, it is suggested to have no cleats, just the stand-up block, which I have. The reasons given are 1) kids learning to sail flip less, 2) it makes one focus on sail trim, and 3) the cleats get in the way of forward seating.

My problem is that I actually liked having the cleats, especially for going upwind. I could cleat the sail, and focus on my steering. Plus, dare I say, my hands get tired in a strong wind, which we get out here with frequency.

Any thoughts on this? Anyone still sail with the clam cleats, think that they're good, stink, whatever?

And does anyone have any installations tips, if I go ahead and install? I remember that both the location was important, and also how the cleat was fastened, so it didn't pull out under stress.

Thanks,

BMF

on my old hull I had a small cam cleat just under the block in the front lip of the cockpit. I didn't use it unless I was going down wind, or crusing around. But on my new hull I don't have a cleat and I don't mind it at all. It really does make you play with your sail more.

bmf,

I don't use the cleats my self but most cleats are mounted on the deck as far out and forward as access from the cockpit will allow (no ports or other holes need be cut). An agled riser under the cleat to keep a straight line from the block to the cleat is needed to prevent pull out/unwanted release.

Back