Installing a new bridle

Sunfish65

Hi There,

How do you install a new bridle? Do I have to remove the deck hardware? Or can I
re-use the old hardware?

Sunfish65

Unless the backing blocks for the deck hardware are bad, just unscrew them and replace the bridal. 5 minute job.

Thanks.

Mine is an older sunfish (60's), I am afraid to remove the hardware. I guess I can remove the hardware, then put some expoxy in the holes, if the blocks are bad.

Sunfish65

Thanks.

Mine is an older sunfish (60's), I am afraid to remove the hardware. I guess I can remove the hardware, then put some expoxy in the holes, if the blocks are bad.

Sunfish65

Another thought: You could tie on a bridle made of line. This used to be class legal so should work.

remove one screw of the eyestrap and only loosen the 2nd screw enough to remove and replace the bridle. That way, even if the backing block is loose, you won't loose it inside the hull.

+1 on the rope bridle.

I replaced my wire bridle with rope several years ago. I'm presently using 5mm Marlow Excel Racing line for my bridle, halyard, and jens line on my '69 Sunfish. I use a small block to attach the mainsheet to the bridle.

Ylojelo hit the nail on the head as far as I would/did it. And with a little bit of good, slow torque, the screws started to turn right out - i.e., the screw heads didn't strip at all. I was very surprised how easy an operation it was...

Thanks. Great info.

I might replace the old bridle with some rope and a small traveler block. I read that the rope used to be class legal. But everyone was pushing the limits, and was ruled out.

Sunfish65.

+1 on the rope bridle.

I replaced my wire bridle with rope several years ago. I'm presently using 5mm Marlow Excel Racing line for my bridle, halyard, and jens line on my '69 Sunfish. I use a small block to attach the mainsheet to the bridle.

Any pics???

Back