Install bailer on Vanguard 420

RyanLee

Hello,
I recently purchased an older Vanguard 420, without a bailer. I have been pumping out rainwater (and water that gets in from the centerboard) using a drill pump, but that gets old really fast.

Has anyone successfully installed a Andersen/Elvstrom Automatic Bailer (Medium) on a Vanguard 420 that did not have a bailer? I have no experience with fiberglass, so trying to determine if this is a good idea on the Vanguard 420, and also how hard it would be to do?

Thanks
Ryan

First of all...
I have been pumping out rainwater (and water that gets in from the centerboard)
...get 1) a cover, and 2) replace the centreboard gasket :rolleyes:

But of course you need at least one bailer, too... Installing one is about as hard/easy as cutting a hole and drilling six screwholes in the bottom of the hull. The fitting should include a template. No fibreglass work is needed. Pictures of bailer locations on 420s are probably all over the net.

I haven’t installed any bailers on 420s/470s, but many on Europe dinghies back in the day. I can give more tips once you’re ready to proceed.

_

First of all......get 1) a cover, and 2) replace the centreboard gasket :rolleyes:

But of course you need at least one bailer, too... Installing one is about as hard/easy as cutting a hole and drilling six screwholes in the bottom of the hull. The fitting should include a template. No fibreglass work is needed. Pictures of bailer locations on 420s are probably all over the net.

I haven’t installed any bailers on 420s/470s, but many on Europe dinghies back in the day. I can give more tips once you’re ready to proceed.

_

Thanks LaLi.
I was thinking about the cover, but I figure if I have a bailer open, shouldn't that be enough to drain the water when the boat is on the dolly? Seems like more $ and effort when the bailer open would do the trick? Or does the bailer only work if the boat is in the water and moving?

Thanks, I will order one now (and PM you when I am ready for your tips).

Ryan

Sure an open Andersen bailer will drain the boat on land as well (if the hull is in a position where the bailer is at the lowest point of course), but then the ”non-return” flap is only barely open, and it gets clogged very easily. All it takes is a few leaves or other natural debris. A cover keeps the boat reasonably clean, and slows down the ultraviolet deterioration of materials as well.

_

Installing an Anderson isn’t too difficult so long as you pay attention to the cut out and are willing to do some gelcoat filling. I have some for sale if you decide to try.

Thanks all, I installed the bailer, was not difficult at all (used a multi-tool for the cut), and it works well when sailing.

That said, I found it much easier to buy a Ryobi power inverter and plug it into a cheap 120v bailer for a portable pump (the 420 is docked on the lake), than to take the boat out each time I am done sailing.

2 things that i have found to work are picking the bow up before leaving it sitting to drain the water when it comes in, and getting a cheapo harbor freight electric gas / oil pump

Back