Inspection ports...

Joe Mama

Good evening all,
I own Laser hull # 387. I'm going to restore her this winter. I want to open her up and install inspection ports. My question is where is the best spot to have decent access to the mast step?
I have read that older hulls have wood installed somewhere along the centerline. Could someone please explain where it's located?

Thanks
JKM

In my opinion, the best place for an inspection port for a mast step repair would be 8" to 10" away from the mast step hole in either the 4 or 7 o'clock position, the bow eye being 12 o'clock. Off the centerline, is best as the area is flat for a good watertight seal when you permanently put in the port after the repair. The center line of the deck is curved and not completely flat and is said to have a support stringer running through there.

Good evening all,
I own Laser hull # 387. I'm going to restore her this winter. I want to open her up and install inspection ports. My question is where is the best spot to have decent access to the mast step?
I have read that older hulls have wood installed somewhere along the centerline. Could someone please explain where it's located?

Thanks
JKM
....restoring #387...that's a heavy responsibility with such an early museum piece! I hope you don't do what I did with my 74 #12716 and make it look newer. I think you have to treat it like an old camaro and try to "restore" it to original as possible...that's just me though.

My boat came with a port from the previous owner (centerline :( ) ...they prob didn't know about the center additional support until they removed the "hole". Oh well.
It's got to be a little tougher decision when you have to think about "cutting" on the early, rare hulls. It however would be a shame to have a step failure .

Best of luck...take pictures! Eric

I believe there is a picture of the centerline stringer on the "mast step" thread in the FAQ that Merrily set up.

Thanks LQT/xflyer
Thanks for the advice, it really helps.
Of course I"ll take pictures!!
Regards,
JKM

Back