inspection port

i would suggest not by the mast because when you come to sell the boat someone might think its had a mast step repair, but i would locate it where its not gonna sit in water e.g. if for somehow water gets into the hull it does not rot or degrade or something. i would suggest easy acess where its not gonna fill the boat with water id its open and you capsize or something but id you put it in the middle if the transome buoyancy tank it could obstruct the tiller i'd say locate the hatch maybe in the cockpit at the stern either side of toestrap point maybe or below it?

Not unnecessarily. The boat (2002) is stored deck down on the upper bunk of a trailer. Assuming that there will always be some leakage, I want to give the interior a way to dry out rather than have any water in contact with the underside of the deck where there are screws protruding through. I plan to cut a piece of window screen for the open port to keep out critters while stored.

My initial search on "inspection port turned" up nothing, but my post generated several past threads. Puzzling. There seemed to be a slight bias in the replies in favor of the port side of the DB trunk. Wondering if that's still the common wisdom. Thanks!

Not unnecessarily. The boat (2002) is stored deck down on the upper bunk of a trailer. Assuming that there will always be some leakage, I want to give the interior a way to dry out rather than have any water in contact with the underside of the deck where there are screws protruding through. I plan to cut a piece of window screen for the open port to keep out critters while stored.

My initial search on "inspection port turned" up nothing, but my post generated several past threads. Puzzling. There seemed to be a slight bias in the replies in favor of the port side of the DB trunk. Wondering if that's still the common wisdom. Thanks!

If you HAVE to put in an inspection port, I would say that is the best location. It makes great, accessible storage place place. We're talking maybe the racing instruction and a sandwich, but it's better than nothing.

I am truly surprised that your inspection port search turned up nothing because the subject always seems to generate some spirited debate.

FWIW: All air contains at least some amount of moisture. Therefore, when the temperature drops, there will be some level of condensation inside the hull. While the wooden stiffeners are sealed against moisture during construction, the wads of bondo used to adhere the mast tube, cockpit and daggerboard trunk to the liner will absorb moisture and, from what I have read, this will eventually weaken the bond. There is at least one vent hole in the liner located on the cockpit forward bulkhead under where the hiking strap is located. However, this is not nearly large enough to keep the inside dry. I think it is there only to insure that there is no pressure differential which may damage the boat. And of course, a little water can get inside during knockdowns, turtles, deathrolls etc.

I have installed inspection ports on a few older boats and when they are opened, there is a considerable amount of moisture and slime inside. Therefore, it is my opinion that having at least one is a good thing. A number of objections to having one or more ports have been raised due to concerns over compromising the structural integrity of the liner. This is not a factor because the port is round and therefore does not create any stress risers. A square hole with sharp corners would be a legitimate concern. Lastly, by securely attaching the port to the deck, it becomes part of the structure.

As for location, next to the daggerboard trunk has many advantages, which is why I think the majority are located there. It is a convenient location for stowing gear and also affords one the opportunity to through-bolt the mainsheet block padeye. It is also a midships location which will facilitate drying out the inside of the boat when necessary.

Hope this helps and if you search again, try "inspection port location."

Back