Inspection Port Questions

tblaser2222

Well, Despite the time of year I have just today finished a mast step repair. "Glad that is over". After many hours i've managed to get 3 hefty layers of mat on the entire step, step tube and hull. Quite confident this will be a very strog repair.

Besides, Back to my question. I now have two beautifull six inch holes my deckand also two fancy inspection ports to fill these holes and I am wondering what type of "caulking, silicone, epoxy, ect." I should use to correctly seal these ports in?

Need to find something asap as there is not much season left. This boat has been out of the water now for two months shes going in next week.

For plastic inspection ports, silicone or silicone/polyurethane hybirds depending on if you want an adhesive or not. The latter is an adhesive. Don't use epoxy or polyurethane (5200) as you'll never get the ports off again. Do not use 4200/polysulfide. It will attack the plastic. I'm in the process of replacing two inspection ports so I'm in the same boat so to speak.

Matt

Perfect, one more question. Do I screw the port down while the silicone is wet or should I wait untill it dries and use the solid bead as a gasket? Thanks for all the help everyone.

Back