Inspection Port Location

glenm

I would like to add a inspection port with a fat bag to store my wallet/keys etc. where would be the best location to put it. I have an older boat without a port.
Thanks
Glen

This has been debated here a lot. I would suggest beside the cb housing so you can use a digital camera and be able to check the mast step on a regular basis. This is very handy on older boats that could be prone to fail in this area. The repair for a busted mast step is very ugly costly and time consuming.

one side of the daggerboard casing or the other is good.

5" port is nice for the reasons 76489 pointed out, basically, being able to see into your hull.

also, I suggest just using 5200 to bed the port, instead of installing screws or using rivets. less holes in boat = better

After many years of ports beside the c'board, I switched to one in the traveler triangle, and it is a HUGE improvement! No more putting my knees through the port, I can easily see if there is water inside, less chance of getting water inside, since the aft port takes less waves, and just as easy to get to my water bottle, etc.

Oh, and Vaseline on the port cover threads works wonders for keeping water out.

Eric Robbins
Westport, CT

Back