Inhaul

PiersHS

Is it worth fitting an Inhaul to my laser? I think it would give me much more control over the foot of the sail and the outhaul settings... Is it class legal?

Cheers guys, also good weblink. What I had in mind was replacing the bungee cord with an inhaul similar to that on an OK or finn which would require a third deck cleat...
inhaul.jpg

Cheers guys, also good weblink. What I had in mind was replacing the bungee cord with an inhaul similar to that on an OK or finn which would require a third deck cleat...
View attachment 5843[/quote

Adding a third deck cleat won't be legal.

A shock cord may be attached between the
outhaul cleat and the clew of the sail, the clew tie
down, the optional block at the clew, or the quick
release system for use as an inhaul.

If you double it up the length will be close to 3ft, you want the inhaul to be tight past the point of where your outhaul is loosened for downwind sailing. This way when you blow the sheet it will quickly move to its new position. Also make sure the cord will stretch to your max outhaul setting. I estimated the length of my inhaul by attaching a longer length of shock cord to my boom (its cheap so I bought plenty of extra), then pull it to less than max ease then mark and cut the spot where it still has decent tension.

Back