Information please

okie4dokie

Hi everyone, I would like some information please. I am new to this forum and new to sailing for that matter, a beginner. I have acquired a 1981 Capri 14, which I believe is an Omega 14, the predecessor to the 14.2. From what I can tell the rigging looks to be about the same as the 14.2 although they changed the hull design a little and added the foredeck. Can anyone give me any information on this model. There is very little information out there about this boat. Also another dumb question, (remember, I'm a beginner) Are the two automatic drain holes in the stern supposed to be plugged or have a valve or are they just supposed to be open? I have not had her in the water yet, and plan to replace all of the lines, shrouds and stays, but the boat is in very good shape. Thanks.

Omega 14

You're right, you have an Omega 14. Fortunately, a lot of the parts are still carried by Catalina. (818-884-7700, ask for Parts.) I'm not real familiar with your boat, but I'm pretty sure it has a self-bailing cockpit. If so, the two open holes in the transom drain the cockpit, and don't need plugs. If it's like the C-14.2, there should be another drain, with a plug, at the very bottom of the transom. This drains the hull if any water gets in between the floor and the bottom.

Omega 14

I'm also an Omega 14 owner and can tell you all you need to know--just ask.
Don't plug those drain holes! You want to sit forward so that the water level is well below the holes. Like the Capri 14.2, the Omega will not sail worth a damn if the weight distribution is off.

Omega 14

I've sailed my Capri 14.2 and find that the drain holes are a blessing that keep the cockpit nicely drained.

I have considered a temporary plug since sitting in the back or weight will draw some water into the boat but it ALWAYS drains back out once the boat is going level again.

I don't actually get much water while I'm sailing so I'm planning to make some plugs that can be removed quickly if necessary. In the meantime, I'll have no water sneaking in if I'm sitting way in the back. Seems worth a try.

Dean

Back