inexpensive dolly?

newtosail

I've found a spot on the lake during the remainder of the sailing season, but need a dolly that allows a one person launch/retrieval on an incline. Does anyone know of one that's both inexpensive and easy to use? Not interestested in building my own, but don't want to pay the seitech price. Do the short 2 wheeled versions that slide into the daggerboard channel work?

I was in your shoes. After a month of looking for a good alternative, I gave it up and bought a Seitech, grumbling about the price the whole time. It is awfully nice and convenient to use, I'll grant Seitech that.

You're probably right. I ordered a $100 trailer dolly to get me thru the rest of the season. If that doesn't help, I'll go w/ the seitech (and hiss about the money I wasted by not getting it in the first place.)

When using the seitech dolly can one person transfer the hull from the dolly to the trailer? Or do you just store it on the dolly?

You can transfer from Dolly to Trailer easily as long as there is a bottom cover or grass around. I can get mine off and on the top of my Chevy Tahoe w/no help.

newtosail said:
You're probably right. I ordered a $100 trailer dolly to get me thru the rest of the season. If that doesn't help, I'll go w/ the seitech (and hiss about the money I wasted by not getting it in the first place.)

When using the seitech dolly can one person transfer the hull from the dolly to the trailer? Or do you just store it on the dolly?

newtosail said:

I cartop mine. In a pinch I can get mine on and off my minvan by myself, but it's hard on the boat -- If I were to replace my old beater laser with a nice one I might not do that.

I did build a laser dolly that is very similar to the seitech ones, although the joints are more like the spootride ones. It was about 175 CDN to make. I was asked to go and get pictures of it but the pictures i took on my camera are too big.

Steven said:
although the joints are more like the spootride ones

Say what??

Spootride makes a dolly similar to the Seitech, but instead of glass-reinforced plastic "couplers" (joints) which are injection molded, to connect the pieces together, Spootride uses alum plates bolted together

Mullet Time! said:
I did build a laser dolly that is very similar to the seitech ones, although the joints are more like the spootride ones. It was about 175 CDN to make. I was asked to go and get pictures of it but the pictures i took on my camera are too big.

This man is a legend. He has a Mullet and it says Mullet Time on his boat.

And I have stolen his dolly before. It is quite nice!

Hey Mullet time

did you buy the joints from spootride or did you manufactuer them yourself? What did you do for wheels

I looked up Spootride on the internet and found out that they are actually a Canadian company out of Vancouver. Never heard of them before, only knew of Seitech and they own the market here in Ontario for laser dollies

I know that you can buy the pieces from Seitech and buy the Alum from a metal company but the pieces alone will cost over $230

yo goonie, who are you, and where are you from.
ah yes, the mullet time, quite unusual pants you wear sailing. was it just me or was the fleet at cork incredibly tough?

I don't see too much of a price difference between a seitech & a spootride.

Just an FYI - If anyone was thinking of using their trailer and a trailer dolly to launch/retrieve (like I did because I was too cheap to buy a seitech)...It was pretty effortless until the time came to pull everything back up the rough incline. I did it, but it requires a lot of effort. Your back will appreciate it if you save up for the real thing.

Back