In which district am I?

Dwight Schrute

My ILCA card designates me as a District 19 member.
The District 19 website says D19 covers all of Michigan.

- but -

I live in the often overlooked Upper Peninsula of Michigan, and...

The District 20 website says D20 covers the U.P. of Michigan.
The map on page 20 of the 2009 ILCA Handbook seems to indicate the U.P. is in District 20.

Who is correct?

I love the U.P.!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I try to get to your town once a year.

There is a great Italian place across from the Holiday Inn.

Just my 2 cents.

Let me ask you this. When you travel out of the UP for regattas, where do you go more? The LP, or Wisconsin/Minnesota? Seems to me you can decide for yourself which district you "belong" to.

@Beaker:

Thanks, Beaker. I love where I live, too. That Italian restaurant is called Villa Capri and if you haven't already, you should definitely check out the bar at the back of the complex. It's called Boat Drinks, or The Boat Bar depending on where you look (the signage is inconsistent). They have an authentic Italian gondola serving as the bar. The bartender stands inside the boat. It totally cracks me up every time I'm in there.

@Torrid:

Thanks for your input, torrid, but something tells me that independent gerrymandering isn't an acceptable practice in a one-design class with such stringent rules...

Ultimately, I recognize that this is a matter of little importance to just about anyone, but as a board member with the Marquette Yacht Club and someone interested in starting a Laser fleet here in town (we have a handful already and a sailing school too), it would be nice to get an official ruling. Who is the definitive source on these matters?

@Beaker:

Ultimately, I recognize that this is a matter of little importance to just about anyone, but as a board member with the Marquette Yacht Club and someone interested in starting a Laser fleet here in town (we have a handful already and a sailing school too), it would be nice to get an official ruling. Who is the definitive source on these matters?

The map at the ILCA-NA website shows that the UP is definitely part of D19.

http://www.laser.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=section&id=7&Itemid=190

Thanks for your input, torrid, but something tells me that independent gerrymandering isn't an acceptable practice in a one-design class with such stringent rules...

Actually, I think there is a little wiggle room. I went and looked at the D12 series NOR as a starting point, and it said this:

4.2 To be eligible to receive a series trophy of this District 12 series, a sailor must be a paid member of the North American Laser class. Membership forms will be available at each series event’s registration. Membership in the North American Laser class may also be completed online at www.nalaser.org.
ILCA members may select D12 as their district even if D12 is not his/her permanent residence –See ILCA Constitution 10.3

Section 10.3 of the constituion reads as follows:

(3) A member of the Association ipso facto belongs to the District in which he normally sails, even though such place may not be his permanent residence; but such member, for valid reason and with the approval of both District Chairmen, may select instead the District in which he has permanent residence

So what does this mean? It means you don't have to live in D12 to compete in the D12 series. And I guess if you compete in enough events, you would be elligible for the district championship. I don't know about eligiblity in more than one district though.

However I stand by my original argument, even in the case of starting a fleet. You should select whichever district is most convenient for you as your "home" district.

As far as I know, to sail in any district championship, you don't have to be a member of that district. How do I know? I'm former D18 Secretary and I used the entire ILCA-NA members list to see if a sailor was qualified to sail in my district's events. Ken Swetka, secretary of D19, sailed in D18's grand prix.

You are in District 19. As far as where you can sail, it's mostly a non-issue. I guess according to those rules quoted by torrid, you could declare D20 as your district if you normally sail there. But if you are starting a Laser fleet on the UP, I'd be surprised if they'd allow that the whole fleet is in D20.

You can also check the map at the Laser Class website.

As Merrily stated, you don't need to be a member of a District to sail its District Championship (the event which awards ILCA-NA Grand Prix points). However, some Districts do hold a championship series, or some other championship event, which may require membership in that district. In that case, as Torrid suggested, if you can make a good case that you sail mostly in that District but maybe live just over the border, then you can have yourself "officially" attached to that district. Talk to the Sherri in the ILCA-NA office and she can help you out.

If it is a matter of qualification - i.e. one sailor per district gets to sail in a championshp - then yes, your proper district is important.

It it's just a matter of participation, I don't think it's important. If you are a class member, have paid the entry fees, and have made an effort to attend most of the events in a series, you should be elliglble for a district championship regardless of where you live. I think more participation benefits everyone.

Back