Improving Pointing Ability

L

LarsenCanvas

I can't seem to point as high as the rest of the lasers in our fleet. I'm also the slowest laser almost always last to the first windward mark. I seem to always be sailing about 5 degrees lower than the rest. If I sail any higher it seems like the sail is luffing or I'm just going slower. What advice might there be to improve pointing without reducing power and boat speed? More outhaul, less cunningham? More cunningham? More hiking? What?

What is the wind speed ? Waves or flat water ?
How does your weight compare to those that are outpointing you ?
Is your mast straight or do you have bends in either upper or lower section ?
How old is your sail ?
Blades fair ?

As far as sail settings, describe outhaul in terms of distance from foot to mid boom, sheet as distance apart from the two blocks, vang tension relative to sheet (ie vang was snug with blocks 3" apart, loose when two blocked)

Lot of questions, but each one can play a role.

To give you an example, my gear is in good shape, straight spars, fair blades etc. My variables issues are weight (I'm 215) and sail condition. I have good benchmarks to sail against to help determine if it's weight (in 7-11 knots lighter is faster, especially when the velocity is up and down and you are going from not quite two blocked to two blocked. Lighter accelerates faster, which then allows higher pointing) or if it's sail related (worn out sails will not point as well in the mid range wind speeds)

Yep, were going to need some more information. A few more questions: What year is your boat? Is your hull stiff? Are far as your pointing abilities, it sounds like your controls aren't set right.

Reply with some more info and we can help a lot more.

Back