Importing a boat and trailer from the US to Canada

henry mccallum

New Member
I'm going to be moving a trailer and boat from Rhode Island to Canada, the trailer is not coming with a license plate, does anyone know how or where to get the temporary registration or plate. Any other tips are appreciated.
Pretty sure you'll need to consult with the relevant Motor Vehicle authority in the Canadian province first; then in RI. You want the official version of what to do. I remember in 1979 my roommate at my first job bought a Triumph Spitfire and moved it with a handwritten thing in the license plate frame saying "lost tag". You might try that (but I don't think you should).