Ill and looking forward to coverage of ISAF Laser racing...

markmod1

Hi All,

I'm suffering from a bout of MAN FLU (alright a bad cold!) and because of this I decide to give my usual Thursday afternoon Laser training/ evening racing at Rutland SC here in the UK a miss.

I thought the amount of swimming I currently do whilst on my learning curve wouldn't do me a lot of good with with my cold/ shivers/ aches. It now looks like sailing tomorrow is going the same way.

I'm wondering if anybody else finds they get withdrawal symptons when they miss some Laser sailing cos I certainly do?

On another note... the TV coverage of sailing here in the UK is virtually non existant..The BBC (I used to joke it stood for bat and ball club..but they can't even afford that now!) doesn't ever have any sailing.. we have Channel four that occasionally has some sailing (round the world yacht race etc) and if you have some spare cash you can pay for Sky Digital TV for good coverage of the Americas cup etc, but this can be quite expensive for all the sports channels.

Unfortunatly, here in the UK If you don't like reality TV, make me a star, big brother, sister, auntie, changing rooms, clothes or your body or X factor sing along, pop idol, act along, search for a star, multi coloured dreamcoat, sound of music type TV i'm afraid your scuppered!

Because of my cold, enforced absence from the water and the aforementioned Laser sailing withdrawal symptoms I have just signed up for the ISAF live sailing pass from Cascais from sail.tv (www.sail.tv)... £3.00 for the month which I didn't think was too bad really. (they have some free footage of the Laser racing from Cork on the site from 2001 which is good)

I'm really looking forward to the live coverage on Monday and hope to see some Laser sailing techniques and skills practised by the elite cream of Laser racers.....I hope maybe this may make up for missing Thursday training!

I'm backing Paul Goodison (GBR) to win...he's currently lying in third position but others here/ and in Cascais may have different ideas!

Do my fellow Laser sailors here from the US get better coverage of sailing on your TV channels (ps I would obviously rather be 'doing' than 'watching' but you can't sail all the time... can you..or can you?:) )

Do my fellow Laser sailors here from the US get better coverage of sailing on your TV channels (ps I would obviously rather be 'doing' than 'watching' but you can't sail all the time... can you..or can you?:) )

Nah, you've pretty much described American TV, except we do get a lot of crime dramas. CSI, CSI, New York, CSI, Miami, CSI, Podunk. OK, just seeing if you are paying attention there. We don't getting sailing except on cable, and not a lot of that. But hey, you can't watch TV all the time, can you? ;)

I'm going through Laser withdrawal myself. I've only sailed my Laser once in the last five weeks. Yeow! Life has gotten in the way. Hope to get some Lasering in soon!

Back