Identify year made

smonks

I just acquired a sunfish (AMF Alcort) hull only. Doesn't appear to be too old, all fiberglass. How do I determine the vintage of the hull so I can get sails/spars/rudder etc? Thanks in advance for assistance.

The quick way to find out is to look for an ID plate usually located in the V of the splash guard. If the plate is there it contains a serial number you can look up to find the model year. If no plate exists it may have been removed or the hull may have been constructed after a standardized federal hull ID became mandatory for boat builders. The federal hull ID is found impressed into the upper right of the transom.

AMF was the second builder of the Sunfish, they made the boat between 1969 and 1985. During AMF’s stewardship the boat transitioned from what’s considered the old design to possessing many of the features seen today, commonly referred to as the “new style”.

Key design modifications during the AMF years include a storage compartment added behind the cockpit in 1971. A rudder design and rudder mounting hardware change in 1972. That year also saw the federal hull ID implemented, though it was late enough in the production year that the model year was 1973. During this transition period the metal DePersia brand cockpit bailer was phased out in favor of a plastic one. Throughout AMF’s tenure other changes came about, however nearly all equipment is interchangeable across the entire Sunfish time-line with the exception of the rudder hardware. Even though it’s not interchangeable, the rudder mounting can be upgraded from old to new style.

Thanks Wayne for your response. I see no evidence of a metal number plate having been attached and there is no HID on the transom. But I guess the real question is the rudder mount. Is there a picture or diagram of the old vs new mount available on this forum? It does have the storage compartment but the bailer under the hull appears to be metal. Sort of a "mutt" as far as your info indicates. Thanks again

I just acquired a sunfish (AMF Alcort) hull only. Doesn't appear to be too old, all fiberglass. How do I determine the vintage of the hull so I can get sails/spars/rudder etc? Thanks in advance for assistance.

Congratulations, but getting all the pieces together is no easy task and potentially expensive. Unless you have some helpful 'friends' with extra gear in the neighborhood....

PS: from Wayne's post it may be inferred that you have a 1972 (plus or minus one year); storage compartment, but no Federal hull ID.

These photos should help you nail it down.

Old style with bronze hardware and new style with stainless steel and aluminum.

Attachments

• 71 and earlier style.jpg
    71 and earlier style.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 72 and later style.jpg
    72 and later style.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 51
Thanks again Wayne. From the photos it's clear that I have the new style rudder. Now all I have to do is get all the pieces, and then it's sailing time next summer! Thanks to all who responded.

Back