I need help with purchasing new blocks

DAWR

I have a 1994 Laser that was raced up until 2002. I had a full understanding of the time of the optimal way to rig my boat with trucker hitch purchases. I really want to upgrade the boat to the new XD rigging, but like so many people the price is holding me back. I am thinking of buying only Laser certified blocks individually and between blocks we have from other boats, port supply and sales acquiring the rest.

Do the micro blocks for the rest have to be a specific brand or part number?
Also would a 1994 boom (blue or gray blocks- not sure if I have my brothers Laser Pro boom or mine from 94) need to be reinforced when I get the new vang?

I think these are the Laser XD parts that I need, is this correct?
Laser Vang
Laser Block Plate
Laser Cleat Base Plate
Laser Clew sleeve- is there a reason to use the velcro strap instead?
Harken traveller block- I am adding this because it looks like I am missing one of my old traveller blocks and no more duct tape.

It is sad that I have not raced my boat in so long and I appreciate any advice you can give me.

Last edited:
To keep the boat class legal you must use the following builder supplier parts:

Vang bottom assembly (you can have whatever you like at the boom end of the vang)
Block plate
Deck cleat base
Traveller blocks

My opinion is that the new 'Harken' traveller and boom blocks are good but the traveller blocks do tend to creep inboard so the older holt blocks are better in this respect.

The other blocks and lines are free but make sure you do not fall foul of exceeding the max number of turning points/pieces of rope that you are allowed to use for the cunningham and outhaul.

The clew sleeve is a matter of taste. Everyone I know who has one has gone back to a velcro strap because the sleeve does not run freely along the boom (and a strap is just as easy to rig IMO).

Thank you for all the information. I will get a strap thanks to your advice and stay with my old traveler blocks. I think I was enamored by all the new options out there. This will allow me to put more money into getting the rest of the new system right.

I did find that I can just buy the base without cleats from APS. I think I have spare cleats from our old J-22 toolbox. So really the only expensive thing I need is a vang.
2303.jpg

Also I was watching several rigging videos last night and saw one in which Robert Scheidt uses T18 Harken blocks vs the standard micro blocks I see in most set ups I researched. Do you recommend using T18 blocks?

Any cleats that fit the base are suitable. As long as they are of good quality then you will not have any issues.

Block wise I tended to use the Harken micro blocks for the control lines because they function well and they look great. I have sailed a boat that used other blocks and, in all honesty, I did not notice any difference in control line response. So as long as the blocks are functional then you should not see any issues.

Not sure if this was one of your questions, but you don't NEED the new boom and traveler blocks. If you are on a budget, you'll get more bang for your buck by upgrading elsewhere (starting with the vang).

Not sure if this was one of your questions, but you don't NEED the new boom and traveler blocks. If you are on a budget, you'll get more bang for your buck by upgrading elsewhere (starting with the vang).
Yes, that was part of my question. I only asked about the new harken traveler block because I was not sure if I knew where my old ones were and it looked like you would not have to use electrical tape to keep them together. Thanks for the information.

My boom question was if anyone knew if I would have to reinforce my boom with a sleeve because of the pressure from the new vang purchase- it is a 1994.

My boom question was if anyone knew if I would have to reinforce my boom with a sleeve because of the pressure from the new vang purchase- it is a 1994.
My 1999 boom had a short sleeve that stopped before the forward mainsheet block. You can check and installed the longer sleeve if your boom is the same.
E

Yes, that was part of my question. I only asked about the new harken traveler block because I was not sure if I knew where my old ones were and it looked like you would not have to use electrical tape to keep them together. Thanks for the information.

The new traveler blocks are one piece, not requiring electrical tape. Cost is $52 at APS. The old-style sister blocks are $24 for the large block, $17 for the small. So if I'm doing my math correctly, I think it's worth the extra $11 to not have to mess with taping the blocks. I course, I'm only quoting the class-legal blocks. ($16/$11 for the Holt Allen blocks - you didn't see that).

I'm pretty sure by '94 the booms came with sleeves. If it isn't sleeved, you should see an obvious curvature to the boom with some load.

Plus don't forget the boom may have been replaced at some point in the life of the boat so it may not be the original one.

I would see how much bend you get when you have lots of vang on. if it seems excessive then you will likely need to sleeve the boom.

Plus don't forget the boom may have been replaced at some point in the life of the boat so it may not be the original one.

I would see how much bend you get when you have lots of vang on. if it seems excessive then you will likely need to sleeve the boom.
The boat has always belonged to me. My parents bought it in the spring of 94 for me. I will check for excessive bend though. If it does, I will come back on and ask about excessive bend. Thank you!

One last question, is there any difference between the Holt Allen and Harken deck cleat base and base plates? I have not seen any comparisons between them other than the mention you need to use risers with the Harken cleat bases. Also have they remained the same since they first were introduced or are there different versions to look for?

After reading posts I will definitely go for a Harken vang system unless I find an Allen one for under $80.

Back