i need a little guidence

kai

i was inspecting the laser i just purchased last fall to make sure it was sea worthy. everything looked good except this. it looks like the boat took a hit right there(see picture) and the fiberglass is fraying a little. i did search but couldnt find ne thing(maybe because i dont know what to search for?). so if you know what i should do or just point me in the right direction that would be great. thank you.
-kai

Attachments

• CSC_0322.JPG
    CSC_0322.JPG
    170.1 KB · Views: 80
I agree with moose. Fair out the chip with a marine filler(any boat store will have it), then just shoot the gelcoat, and it will be as good as new.

That's a small enough ding that I don't think you need filler besides the gelcoat paste.

Sand it out to remove the really big loose pieces, and follow the directions on the package.

Mmmmmmm.... I'd go with the side of caution and do a little fiberglassing. You dont know how bruised the fiberglass is and from an impact like that, there is a chance the integrity has been compromised. I think it'd be better to do the glass job now than to have to grind out the gelcoat and do the glass job once the bruise becomes more noticeable...

thanks for all of the advice. i was a little trigger happy and ended up filling it with some marine tex that i had. think it will hold up or should i remove it and put down glass?

where it is, I wouldn't worry about glassing, if the marine tex held i'd leave it. happy sailing

Back