Huntington, Long Island Newbie

pvajko

I've been sailing Lasers for a while, but I'm new to the US. I moved from Europe to Huntington on Long Island and now looking for a place around here on the beach where I could keep my boat. All I found so far are the public beaches and yacht/beach clubs for members. I don't really like the idea of keeping it on a public beach (I don't even know how can one get access to those boat racks), and the clubs seem to be far too expensive, and, becoming to be a member may also be hard.

All I need is a safe place at the water where I can have my boat on the dolly, push it into the water, park my car not too far away, and a reasonable price.

I can see there are Laser sailors here, where are you guys have your boats?

Peter

Hi Peter,

Welcome to the local sailing scene. We are starting a Tuesday night Laser series in New Rochelle, NY, just north of Manhattan. We just built a floating dock with a storage rack. Spots are available if you are interested in racing with us. Just let me know.

Hugo

Hi Hugo,

thanks for the invitation, that is exactly the kind of place I'm looking for, would just prefer something closer as I live here 5 minutes from the beach...

Peter

Re: hi, hugo

Nice to meet you. I also want to take part in the "Tuesday night Laser series" you mentioned above, can you tell me how to join in that "party" ? :p

I think that will be rather difficult, as you are in China and sail a "warship."

I think you will find it pretty difficult to find a public access beach where your boat is safe - you should contact Lindsey Hewitt who sails out of Cold Spring Harbor - he's very dialed into the sailing on the north side of the island. (I'll pm you his email address)

Lindsey will also be able to tell you what the winds are like in the summer on the north side, IMHO they are very light.

South shore of LI is a another choice - sea breeze is very reliable

District 8 has a pretty good racing season planned - the regattas are fun and fairly low key, with a good mix of skill levels. - see http://laserd8.tripod.com/ for more info

Hi Peter,

Welcome to the local sailing scene. We are starting a Tuesday night Laser series in New Rochelle, NY, just north of Manhattan. We just built a floating dock with a storage rack. Spots are available if you are interested in racing with us. Just let me know.

Hugo
Hugo,
I have been looking for a laser fleet close by to participate in over the summer please get back to me with more information.
Thanks
Doug

Peter & Doug,
We are starting a Tuesday night Laser series at Hempstead Harbour Club in Glen Cove, NY. It is very informal, no scoring, no race committee, starts at 6:30 pm the Tuesday after Memorial Day. You are welcome to join us.

Anne Kochendorfer
Glen Cove, NY

Back