hull weight question

Alcort59224

I have a 1969 sunfish that weighs 140 pounds which i thought was 10 pounds overweight but i found on the yahoo sunfish sailor site a 1966 brocure that rates a fiberglass fish at 139 pounds. My question is that this brocure says it should weigh 139, most people say they should weigh 130 and the current laser performance spec for its weight is 120. Where has 20 pounds of hull weight gown between the sixties and now in a class boat where they should all be the same and does that mean my boat dosent actually have any water in it its susposed to weigh 140?

You can also find a chart compiled from boat specs over the years that shows the hull weight has changed, presumably due to differences in construction. These boats are laid-up by hand so there's boat-to-boat variability in that as well.

Sounds like you have a fighting weight boat for it's year.

Though the LaserPerformance spec show the weight for new boats to be 120 lbs, that is definitely not correct...at least not for most of them. I have had 3 brand new boats in the last 4 years, and they have all weighed in close to 129 lbs.

Andy

Back