Hull Repair

BPLaser2

I have a 19 yr. old Laser II in really great condition; except for a small issue with water.

After an aggressive sail, I seem to take on a fair amount of water internally. I have some dings around the dagger slot, nothing major and I will fill those regardless. I did notice that there are several areas at the deck/hull seam that are "honey combed". Could this be the ingress? If so, what should I use to fill these areas in?

Thanks,
Bruce

Bruce,

I had a similar issue on an L2 and my Laser. On the L2, I had water ingress from a quarter sized nick around the daggerboard slot and a few cracks around the gunwales. I'm taking an agressive approach to fix the damage caused by this water. It was a club boat so it's been abused by kids for years and not taken care of. Take a look at my project....

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=274913&id=669810173&l=ac95504b9d

The laser was in much better shape and I fixed all the damage with West System Epoxy and silica filler to thicken it. I ground out the joint with a Dremel tool and then injected the thickened epoxy into the joint. That boat was bone dry last summer so it seems to have worked well.

Later,
Matt

.....when I see pictures of projects that big ,I am amazed....new boat sales just went up....more power to you! Good luck , Eric

Back