Hull Repair Strategy

CodyPereira

Good evening all and happy Friday. I've been doing alot of searching on this forum regarding hull repair strategies; overwhelming for the amateur fiberglass worker. I'm working to remove an existing (poorly done) repair from the previous owner, and properly repair the hull before rolling and tipping the hull. My question is, being that I cannot get behind the repair as is, would this repair constitute cutting out this section, repairing from behind and outside once removed and reinstall using the fiberglass battons technique? Any input is much appreciated. Photos attached for reference in size.

Attachments

• 20190802_181453.jpg
    20190802_181453.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 52
  • 20190802_181444.jpg
    20190802_181444.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 52
I never use cardboard as a backing plate. I lay out a sheet of cloth
on wax paper and when dry peel it off the wax paper and use it as
backing. It's fairly flexible for the job.

You could use the shoreline method for the keel but the large chunk
missing is the problem. I would make a fiberglass mold of the missing keel from
another Sunfish. I've made copies of splash rail ends before and it works
pretty good. Also works good for a crushed bow. Lots of different ways to
fix it, you'll probably get lots more suggestions.

Thank you all! I really appreciate the recommendations. Looking forward to fixing it up and getting her back in the water. Thank you again. The knowledge and support in this forum is fantastic.

The "backer" is actually the fiberglass cloth, we usually use woven roving. The cardboard with the strings through it is used to hold the roving in shape and place while the roving and epoxy dries.

Here's AL and Cort hard at work, and someone ready to get after a spring plate screw with a Yankee Driver.

IMG_1438.jpg

Back