Hull Refinishing Info?

Westports94

After 40 years in the family, it's finally time to put in inspection ports to dry out my fat (280 lb) Sunfish in preparation for painting Van Gogh's Starry Night on the deck (my daughter's request, but I think it'll be pretty cool). So, apart from color theory and mixing, I'm hoping to find some advice on refinishing old Sunfish. Does anyone know of good concise info on a website? Mostly I'm interested in what type of paint should be used and what protective clear coats are recommended (wouldn't want a lot of work on Starry Night wearing away too quickly). Any suggestions for source info?

My case is complicated a bit in that we re-painted the lower half of the hull 30 years ago and I don't know what kind of paint was used. Some kind of epoxy paint? (It was not a 2-part epoxy paint... I think I would have remembered if I had to mix two components). It may have been a standard marine enamel, if there is such a thing.

Any thoughts appreciated. If this project comes off, I'll definitely post a picture.... the boat will certainly be unique!

Westports,

See the Posts back in Feb 2005, "Bottom Paint Recomendations". dphoyle, did a nice job of repainting his SF with Awlgrip paint and gave some tips that you may be able to use.

sailorf2...

Sorry... that 280 lbs was a typo. It's more like 180, but that's still 50+ lbs of water soaked into the internal hull parts (and that's AFTER I used those tiny drain plugs on the old pre-AMF Alcort boats!). If it was 280 lbs, I'd probably be hearing a heck of a lot of water sloshing around in there.

supercub...

Thanks for the lead to those articles. I'd been working through the newer posts first... it's time consuming. It will help knowing the month and year.

Back